Is the 1.4 TSI 150 enough for the Kodiaq and family of 4? (no towing planned)

Apologies. Will depreciate 2-5000 less than petrols. Much like today. Just look at 3 year old diesel vs petrol SUV's/ estate cars on today's market. Certainly here in NI that's the case. 

No,  i know what you meant,  i wish i had some of what you are smoking though.

If you bought your Kodiak for cash money and are the owner you might look back at this post in 2020 and see where your predictions turned out.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jacro said:

But what you get for that £1815 is so good. That's why it's dearer. 

You know that is not true. From an engineering view, Diesel engines are more expensive than petrol engines which deliver the same amount of power. While most petrol engines are naturally aspirated, most diesels require a turbocharger with intake air intercooler. Their fuel injection is more complex, they even need (glow) plugs to run. If you are looking at the most advanced Diesels, they have a very expensive technology to clean the exhaust fumes. Besides, Diesel engines are heavier, which means the car may need a stronger suspension and stronger brakes. Most Diesel vehicles have shorter service intervals than petrol cars.

3 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

No,  i know what you meant,  i wish i had some of what you are smoking though.

The truth can be somewhat uncomfortable at times. And by the pricked responses I'm getting would say it's getting under the skin of many. But my reasoning is sound and others have the right to hear the opposing argument. 

2 minutes ago, Jacro said:

The truth can be somewhat uncomfortable at times. And by the pricked responses I'm getting would say it's getting under the skin of many. But my reasoning is sound and others have the right to hear the opposing argument. 

Nothing's uncomfortable. All are aware of the advantages of Diesel and nobody's arguing that. But your reasoning is anything but sound, because you're not even taking into account individual circumstances.

So, in your opinion, for the OP who is going to do less than 10K miles per year, predominantly urban driving and is never going to tow a trailer, is Diesel the better option? 

• Like 1

Jacro,

No i think that you are in a fantasy land on future residuals.

and i and others drive TDI's probably because horses for coarses and miles covered etc.

They are a tool and good for carrying tools and people and luggage and weight, but if not needed then they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Like 1

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/it-time-say-goodbye-diesel

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/04/diesel-environment-ban-tax-duty-emissions-values

Steve Gooding, director of the RAC Foundation, predicts price falls. “Will all diesels be worthless in five years? Most unlikely. Will some of them be worth significantly less than they otherwise might have been? Almost certainly.”

He says that while the sale of new diesels in the UK has barely been dented, the market for new and secondhand vehicles looks “a lot less certain”, and in continental cities that have seen restraints on diesel use, older car values have fallen. “It could be a bonus for high-mileage, bargain-seeking motorists who mostly drive out of town, but that will be scant comfort to the out-of-pocket urban vendor who probably thought they were doing the environmentally correct thing in choosing diesel.”

Early night last night.  My response. Don't be a sheep and follow the scaremongering nonesense that's being touted about. Change is happening but not as quick as you think. Euro 6 diesels from late 15 on are much cleaner than what came before and are exempt from upcoming 2019 city charges. Obviously you've made your mind up and are blinkered to the facts. It may be too late for you but others deserve to hear the truth. 

Live long and prosper!!

You haven't answered my question yet.

So, in your opinion, for the OP who is going to do less than 10K miles per year, predominantly urban driving and is never going to tow a trailer, is Diesel the better option? 

Edited by bigboss

18 minutes ago, bigboss said:

You haven't answered my question yet.

The OP should now have enough info to make his or her own decision thanks to our lively debate and that's a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Jacro said:

Early night last night.  My response. Don't be a sheep and follow the scaremongering nonesense that's being touted about. Change is happening but not as quick as you think. Euro 6 diesels from late 15 on are much cleaner than what came before and are exempt from upcoming 2019 city charges. Obviously you've made your mind up and are blinkered to the facts. It may be too late for you but others deserve to hear the truth. 

Live long and prosper!!

Not being a sheep. Just my use case makes the petrol the better option, just as it was when I bought my Golf. I'm not scared of residuals dropping due to dieselgate and the likes. It just doesn't work out as the better option for me. I'm reading peoples feedback on the 1.4 TSI though to make sure it is up to the job. But the only "gutless" engine comment so far was from someone that came from a 3.2l Audi. I think I'm safe in my choice, especially given the same engine in the Superb gets recommended by many as well if they aren't doing motorway mileage on a regular basis.

Thanks for the 'debate' though folks :)

Edited by Zapirian

??

What upcoming City charges in 2019?   In which Cities in the UK has this decision and legislation been made & in which other Countries / Cities?

There are already seemingly a council / local authority that charge parking permits at a higher price for diesels that are longer. 

But maybe that was a just a suggestion / news report that never came to pass yet.

Diesels banned for a 2 days recently in Oslo applied to any diesel car i believe, not just particular early Euro emission classes.

So anything is possible anyplace any time, but what is being introduced as a certain in the UK, is it an extra pollution charge on Euro 4 Emission Diesels in the 

City of London Congestion Charge areas?

Edited by Awayoffski

As above. Anythings possible. I'd be very interested to see what phev tech is going to be offered by VW group in near future or indeed if battery tech will improve drastically and we can say doodbye to petroleum engines completely. It will take alot longer than people think but after driving a tesla a few weeks back was amazed by the torque not so much with range though. 

Exciting times!!!!

4 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

^^^ So what 'upcoming City Charge plans in 2019' were 'you' referring to?

Think it's ULEZ plan April 2019 for central London to be rolled out for whole after. Or maybe I imagined it whilst smoking a large one on fantasy island:biggrin:

26 minutes ago, Redline Greenline ii said:

This has all got a bit unnecessary, hasn't it? :blink:

:D

The OP's query can be answered with just 1 word: Yes! Everything else is unnecessary. :)

Edited by bigboss

39 minutes ago, Redline Greenline ii said:

This has all got a bit unnecessary, hasn't it? :blink:

I thought it was all light hearted banter with a few jabs thrown.  All good fun really. 

32 minutes ago, Jacro said:

I thought it was all light hearted banter with a few jabs thrown.  All good fun really. 

Mmmm.  Here's a bit of banter, then:  jeans with a 38" waist are much better than those with a 36" waist.  Less pain, more comfort. My reasoning is sound.

My point?  That it's not possible to say what's good for someone, without knowing more about what someone needs.

To do so (as in what's been said above about diesels) assumes one's own circumstances are the only relevant or "correct" ones.  That's selfish and disrespectful. What is selfish and disrespectful isn't "banter".