J&R Driveshafts PD130 6 Spd

Hi All, 

At 140,000 My Mk1 Oct is now making awful clunks and grinding noises when steering on full lock (Right hand down). Because of that I believe the Nearside (LH) Outer CV joint is knackered (also has a small tear on the boot) 

I am looking around at Pricing, and I wondered if anyone has tried J&R Driveshafts on ebay?

Pricing I have found so far, bearing in mind my Octy is a 53 plate Estate, PD130 with the 6 Speed Manual gearbox.

£180 for an Outet Joint kit from TPS

£200 for a N/S Driveshaft from Euro Car parts

£30 for one from J&R on ebay.... 

Seems a bit too cheap. Does have a 2 year warranty but It is still suspicious.

Edited by Taylor93

Have you tried http://www.buycarparts.co.uk?

The parts come from Germany typically, or other parts of the EU and pre-Brexit the prices aren't bad at all :)

(I paid £6 this week to have a brand new steering knuckle delivered from them; took a week to arrive but it was £70 for a genuine Metzger unit instead of £500 for one from Euro Car Parts).

Cheers

Edited by reesky

At this mileage/age I've known the inner joints fail as well - the grease can dry up!

If your also paying for labour - I'd change the driveshaft.

If you are doing the work and you don't mind taking it to bits again then you could try a new CV joint. 

I got caught out with this with a MKII Passat a few years ago. I changed the outer joint which seemed OK for a while but fault came back and I stripped down again - inner joint was cream crackered and grease dried out. Check wheel bearing as well!

Edited by bigjohn

Well I replaced it and it seems to have sorted it, I do have another issue which I suspect maybe related to the other driveshaft but if that needs to be replaced, it can be done at a later date!

For now though I found my plastic ARB drop link was broken (had been bodged by someone before and I had been meaning to get around to fixing it) so plenty still to fettle!

Thanks All!