Bonelorry's 2002 Honda CBR600F...

bonelorry

Thought I would make a little thread for the my latest purchase for those 2-Wheeled fans on the forum...

As some of you know I sold my MK6 Golf R DSG earlier this Year and decided to have a bit of a break from Performance Cars, I purchased a lovely Lemon Yellow Fabia VRS which is my daily, Got a Garage built and booked my Direct Access Motorcycle Training. After successfully passing both my Mod 1 and Mod 2 first time I already knew what Bike I was going to go for and had been searching for a couple of Months for a decent example.

Going back a to 2005 I actually worked for Yamaha Motorcycles for about a Year as a Sales Executive so was around Bikes on a daily basis at work, I always said i was going to do my Bike test as I had loads of Field Bikes growing up and then at 16 I did my CBT and had a Yamaha FS1E 50cc which was my first road bike then at 17 a De-Restricted Yamaha TZR 125R but as the Years passed I never got around to getting my Full Licence. Don't ask me why but something else always came along and I was heavily into Cars so couldn't really afford to do both back then.

June 2017...

So fast forward again back to June 2017 and the day after passing my Bike Test I had a drive down to Long Eaton near Nottingham to a Motorcycle Dealership which had 4 x Honda CBR600f's in stock, 3 x of them where 2005/06 Models in Red/Black and the other was a 2001 in Yellow. I specifically wanted the 2001 onwards Model called the F4i because in short these are the best looking and are Fuel Injected.

My reasons for deciding on this particular Bike is that the Honda CBR600F has been around since the late 80's and has gained a great reputation amongst riders/owners, They are well built, Reliable, Considered to be relatively easy to ride and quite forgiving, Comfortable seating position which is a little more upright than other Suspersports Bikes such as Suzuki GSXR's, Yamaha R6's etc. I had the budget to go out and buy pretty much any Bike I wanted including a Brand New One but decided against it for a first bike and it gives me something to look forward to next Year.

So anyway the 2001 Yellow one had no Service History at all, So I focused on the 2 x Red/Black models they had. One was a little Ropey condition wise especially considering it was up at strong money and so that only left the other Bike which I actually asked to see the Paperwork on and again it had some massive gaps in the history so was a no go. I then asked where the 3rd Bike was and after 5 Mins of head-scratching he decided that it had been sold and should have been taken off their website. I got the impression the salesman thought I was just there wasting time which was not the cars but needless to say I walked away.

So back to searching and it was only a matter of a few days when I spotted another example for sale in Dronfield at a much smaller Dealership and which was a little more local to myself, This was a 2002 Model in the much better looking Tri-Colour Red/White/Blue combination, 2 Previous owners and only 15000 Miles. It looked like a decent example in the pictures and was around £800 cheaper than the previous bikes I viewed so thought I might aswell have a look. I was on early shifts so had a drive over after work on the Tuesday afternoon, I was greeted by a very helpful chap who was the owner of the Shop and I explained I had gone to look at the Honda CBR600F he had for sale. He got me all the History and gave me the Keys and left me too it no pressure, I spent a good 15 Mins poking around and was happy with all the Paperwork so it just came down to the numbers.

The Bike was well known to him and they also knew the previous owner who traded it in, It had only covered about 1000 Miles over the past 5 Years but had been serviced and MOT'd regardless which to me is a big thing. Sadly you find that a lot of Bikes skip MOT's and sometimes get Serviced every 2-3 Years which leaves gaps in the History especially if they are not doing the Mileage!

The Bike was getting due for its MOT doing and although it had only covered about 100 Miles since its last Oil and Filter change I basically said that if he MOT'd the Bike, Did the Oil & Filter, Spark Plugs which where due at the 16K Miles interval and Brake Fluid that I would give the full asking price and leave a deposit there and then which he agreed to and so we shook hands. He went to to explain that he was a Putoline Lubricants agent and had only ever previously used their 10w40 Sport 4 Oil on the bike so would continue to use that which I was pleased to hear. I did notice that the Rear Tyre didn't have a great deal of tread left in the Centre and this was also discussed at the time sale and also made as an Advisory on the MOT but he advised me to get a few hundred Miles on the Bike and give him a shout as he would do me a good deal on a pair of Tyres so I was happy with that.

I collected the Bike 3 Days later on the Friday afternoon and had a really steady but enjoyable ride home!

The Bike...

Honda CBR600F "F4i" Fuel Injected Model

2002 Model

Tri-Colour, Red/White/Blue with Black Wheels

2 Previous Owners

14914 Miles as of 16/6/17, Currently on 15650 Miles

: 109BHP @ Flywheel, 46LB/FT of Torque, 155MPH Top Speed

The Bike also came with a few aftermarket extras including, Double Bubble Front Tinted Screen, R&G Crash Bungs, Rear Hugger, Datatool Gear Display Indicator.

First picture I took of the Bike after my ride home from the Dealership...

35234974932_dace392dfa_c.jpg

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 2

2/7/17...

So after living with the Bike for a few Weeks and covering about 200 Miles I was gelling with it well but always found it a little on the firm side, A quick glance at the Suspension showed that everything was indeed set Hard on the Preload and Rebound and looking at the way the rear Tyre had worn square in the middle would indicate that he road the bike with a Pillion and or some luggage mainly in the upright position. Not to worry as on the 2002 Models everything is easily and fully adjustable so I got all the stock settings from the Owners Manual and adjusted both the Front and Rear Suspension back to the Standard Manufacturers settings. A quick 50 Mile ride afterwords and the Bike was transformed and much nicer to ride.

14/7/17...

Next thing to do was to replace the Rocket Launcher Exhaust, The Standard Can is totally overkill and a little on the long side, It also had age related few Minor Scratches which did spoil the appearance of the Bike so I did a little research and decided to go a Delkevic Stainless Steel 350mm Oval Can with Link Pipe and removal baffle. This arrived the next day and so I removed the old Can and Link Pipe which in comparison weighed a ton! The replacement Sports Can and Link Pipe fitted really nicely with only a little adjustment required, I left the Baffle fitted and don't think I will every actually remove it to be honest as it sounds just right, Not too loud just subtle and has a deeper tone but above 8000RPM really howls. Very happy with it!

New Exhaust...

36582008906_8093d60cc1_c.jpg

36628366455_22e72c5a6b_c.jpg

15/8/17...

Having covered about 700 Miles on the Bike since buying it I decided it was time to replace those Tyres, Having found new confidence in the Bike and after a few spirited moments I felt that the Tyres where becoming a limiting factor. The problem is that ideally a Motorcycle Tyre should be round across the Tread section which allows for a smooth transition when leaning or changing direction quickly, when they are worn Square the Bike doesn't react how you expect it to when leaning over, You sort of set yourself up for a bend and lean over and then get past that point where the tyres worn and the Bike leans even further all at once as you drop off the Square edge. That and the fact the Tyres where 9 years old doesn't help. 

It had Bridgestone 021 Sport Tourings fitted which are quite dated and mine where knackered, I gave the chap who I got the Bike off a ring and discussed my options. He said he would only charge me for the cost of the Tyres and not for fitting if I dropped the wheels off with him. BONUS! I opted for a Brand new Pair of Bridgestone 016 Pro Hypersports which are a little softer than the old 021's but as I don't do any long distance riding it wont be a problem, They should totally transform the Bike after a gentle 100 Miles Scrubbing in Period.

So if I was to be removing the Wheels myself I needed a decent pair of Stands so on Saturday I went over the J&S Motorcycles and purchased a pair of Oxford Paddock Stands then removed the Wheels on Sunday, While they where off I removed the old Balance Weights and Glue residue ;) and then dropped them off on Tuesday morning and he did them while I waited, He was very thorough and fitted new Valves and Re-Balanced the Wheels. Very professional and given I worked for Goodyear for 8 Years prior to going on the Railway I had no issues.

While the wheels where off the Bike I checked the Wheel Bearings and found the one of the Fronts was a little rough to turn. Nothing Major and it wasn't picked up on the MOT but you know what I am like so....

16/8/17...

Yup, After getting the Tyres fitted on Tuesday I got home and ordered both a Front and Rear set of Wheel Bearings including new Dust Seals. I could have probably just re-fitted the Wheels as they where but it would have played on my mind. I don't skimp on anything Mechanical on Cars or Bikes and I certainly wont mess about when it comes to the Bike as its quite a capable machine and no slouch so needs to be tip-top.

The Bearings arrived Wednesday morning and I had the tools to do it so I took it upon myself to have a go at doing it rather than paying someone to do it, The old ones came out fine using a Drift and the new ones went back in fine. I took extra care to ensure they where central and fitted the axle a few times to ensure it passed smoothly through. All good!

Before the Wheels where refitted I deep cleaned the swinging arm area, Removed the Chain Adjusters and cleaned the Threads applying a small amount of Copper Slip on the Bolts as they are Steel Bolts going into an Aluminium Swinging arm. I also removed the Rear Brake Pads and ensured the Piston was moving freely in and out, Removed, Cleaned and Greased the Caliper Slide also then re-assembled everything.

The Wheels went back in fine, Took my time to ensure all the spacers where correctly fitted and Torqued everything up the Manufacturers Spec. 

A quick 5 Mile shake down ride last night to ensure everything was OK and then back onto the stands for a final glance when I got home to ensure nothing was binding. All good!

Just awaiting a replacement Air Filter to arrive which I ordered and once that is fitted its ready to ride again.

Couple of pics...

Wheels off, Putting those stands to good use...

35819064183_c4b6e96ce3_c.jpg

Old Bearings...

36490475361_c776a0652a_c.jpg

Wheels refitted, New Wheel Bearings Front and Rear including Dust Seals, New Bridgestone 016 Pro Tyres...

36490475511_29540cb594_c.jpg

Oh Yes, I now have power in the Garage too...

36582008806_0d353f50ae_c.jpg

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Very nice looking bike and obviously  well looked after. I honestly know nothing about Motor Bikes, never owned on and never will, never even sat on one.

One question please, can these be remapped ?

They can... those with fuel injection, at least. I've only ever had carbed bikes, myself, because I'm a grumpy old dinosaur.

You put some box of electronical wizardry in it, called a Power Commander by Dynojet. My mechanic has owned R1s, Fireblades, Blackbirds and all sorts with the things in... as if they weren't fast enough!!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Very nice looking bike and obviously  well looked after. I honestly know nothing about Motor Bikes, never owned on and never will, never even sat on one.

One question please, can these be remapped ?

Thank you, For a starter Bike its ideal.

Yes as mine is Fuel Injected you can buy something Called a Power Commander and then get it set up on a Dyno, Although tuning Bikes usually sees minimal gains given a 600CC Naturally aspirated engine that already produces 110BHP is quite "Tuned" anyway. Even with a K&N Filter, Stainless 4-1 Header, Link Pipe and Can and Power commander might yield 5bhp at the top end and improve throttle response, Improve mid-range. Its not something I would do though personally as the costs vs increase are huge.

It is cheaper and easier IMO to buy a bike with a larger engine if you want to go faster, To be fair though even a 600 is quick once above 8000RPM. Think mine hits the rev limiter around 14000RPM, Does 100MPH in 2nd Gear and does 0-60mph under 4 Seconds. The 1000CC 180BHP Bikes must be mental!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Thanks for that, interesting.  Just to add my favourite motor sport is Moto GP, beats the likes of the FI GP Circus touring the world. Very limited overtaking and all won in the pit stops,  Oh....and we need a saftey car, it's raining  :rain:

No worries, Closed circuit racing sadly doesn't interest me any more. Since they got rid of the Two Stroke 500CC GP Bikes it lost its appeal...To me anyway. Like Formula 1, BTCC, WRC and Motorbike Racing the 80's and 90's where the best era's.

However, I religiously watch the Isle Of Man TT every year as that is just mind boggling. :rofl: 

5 hours ago, DanGum said:

Nice bike that I have a similar looking exhaust on my fazer!

I did the direct access earlier in the year was a great feeling to finally get out on two wheels. 

Cheers Dan, Yes I am really happy with it so far. It does everything I could want it do and is great for a first "Big" Bike.

Yamaha Fazer 600's are also really good and I actually considered one.

20/8/17...

Managed to get 120 Miles in over the Weekend on the New Tyres and New Wheel Bearings etc, It is a totally different Bike to ride and is super smooth now. The New Tyres have transformed it to be honest and even though I have been scrubbing them in are already in improvement over the old BT021's which where like 50 Pence pieces.

Had a really enjoyable ride out on Sunday morning around Derbyshire...

36565419212_efe50a2fab_c.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Volvomeg said:

How do you find the delkevic can,

I'm considering one for my 600 hornet, but carn't seem to find any youtube vids of it connected to a 4 pot honda

So far so good, I am really pleased with it for the money and I think it looks really smart too. Sound wise it is just right "I left the baffle fitted" with a subtle deeper/throatier sound at the lower RPM range which really comes alive when you give it some stick.

Found a video for you...

• 4 weeks later...

18/9/17...

Waved this one off last night with its new owner, Decided to advertise it last week and sold it straight away. I am planning on getting something cheaper and more suitable for the Winter Period possibly a Honda CB500 or the likes. I will also buy a Second Bike for Summer use only...Undecided on what yet.

• Like 1