Coolant Level Blue Lamp

Roomy1

I collected my Roomster (58 plate) on Saturday, Sunday morning turned it on and a blue Coolant Level lamp appeared on the dashboard.  Not a good start!  Turned the engine ON/OFF about three times, but made no difference, checked under the bonnet in case there was a leak but no everything was as I'd seen it on Saturday.  As I started to drive off the light went off.  Parked the car after a drive, but same thing happened in the afternoon when I went for another drive.  The user manual wasn't much help - just says that you should stop immediately if the light does not go off after a few seconds of starting the engine.  

So I was all set to ring up the garage on Monday, when I came across a "Technical Changes" document on the Skoda site, which basically seems to be an addendum to the user manual.  In there it says that a blue Coolant Level lamp comes on until the engine has warmed up.  Is that the case? - blue lamp for information only and red lamp to indicate a problem.

How many other blue lamps are there on the dash?

Welcome.

Yes the blue coolant light is just to let you know the coolant is not at operating temperature, and nothing wrong there.

Yellow, Orange and Red are warning lights of various seriousness.

As to other lamps,

most come on with the ignition as a check, then extinguish, or do not if faulty, or a fault needs checking.

Its not a coolant level, but a temperature indicator

There is no water temp gauge on the roomster,  shows blue for a few minutes then lamp goes out

Ignore it, in winter it takes longer to go out and heating wont be very effective until it does as heat isn't circulating

Green lamps are reminders (eg lights on)

yellow / orange lamps are info (eg indicators on, low fuel etc)

red lamps are faults or problems that need fixing before moving (handbrake on is also red)

Most lamps will light for few seconds when ignition turned on, until a normal indication is received

Edited by SurreyJohn
typo
  • Like 1

Hi, blue is coolant temperature light when cold. The same icon will light up red if the car overheats or gets close to overheating. I don't think the cooling light has orange, just blue and red. Never seen my Fabia go red but blue every morning or if cold. It will go off within a few mins, perhaps a little longer in winter, especially on diesel car.

The light will only stay on if there is a fault in the heating side of things so relax, it will light when cold, extinguish when warm and light again if you park for a while. if partially warm, it might just come on for a few seconds.

Red is generally a more serious warning. Other warning symbols may be orange as a less serious issue where driving to workshop to check might be feasible where red indicates a serious issue whereby damage could occur if you continue. 

The other blue lamp is the high beam. If you switch from dipped to high (Full) Beam, you will get a blue light, warning you that its on and you will potentially be burning out the optic nerve of any oncoming vehicle at night!

The handbrake warning light, for example, is red. Drive with the handbrake on and the light will stay on, followed by and audible alarm if you fail to spot it after a few seconds/above a few MPH. The ABS warning light, however, is orange. This should only go on to check the system when you start the car and should go out almost straight away (As with most "Warning" lights). If the ABS stays on AFTER the others have gone off or comes on in normal driving, this shows a potential fault in the ABS system and you may not have ABS functioning correctly, if at all. The orange light tells you you can operate the vehicle so you can take it to dealer to get the fault checked out but there is an issue present! You will still continue to have normal braking, just not the ABS, which could mean a potential, dangerous skid or extended stopping distance. Hence the orange warning.

Think of traffic lights... Red, STOP! 

Amber, Stop, if its safe to do so!

Green, Go if your way is clear. 

Green lights on the dash are normally safe lights. Amber/Orange are moderate warning, Red, serious!  The lesser, blue lights are just between the green and the orange. 

Edited by mrgf

Great, thank you all for the really complete answers.

A thought about the blue light going out once the engine is up to temperature.  Most of my journeys are taking the kids to school, clubs, etc. and it's all short (less than 2 miles) trips, a lot of switching on and off.  Is that enough for the blue light to go out or am I likely to see it permanently on blue as the weather turns colder, which can't be good for the car.  

Hi Roomy1 and welcome to Briskoda.

If I remember correctly, the blue light on my petrol Roomy would extinguish after 1 mile or so - and my diesel Roomy after 1.5(ish) miles.

During the cold winter months, the distances could be 50% greater.

On 25/08/2017 at 07:47, Roomy1 said:

Oops sorry, it's a Roomster 1.6, petrol.

Not so bad with a petrol if it doesn't get up to temp (Still not good) But death to a diesel with DPF.

No need to do anything or do any more miles or do motorway runs since you have a petrol which short runs do not harm.

Be aware that short runs can mean more condensation in the engine so h2o in the oil, but that burns off if you are doing longer runs with the engine at more efficient / normal / higher temperatures.

Do your annual / fixed oil changes and check that the oil filler cap never really shows signs on a messiness from too many short not up to temp runs.

Not a big issue, just something to be aware of.

@Roomy1 - On that basis, I'd expect it to at least put the blue light out in 2 miles (based on relatives' Hondas).

After that, as long as you don't get mayonnaise (so called because this is what it looks like) inside the rocker cover there's no need for "get it hot runs".

@Roomy1 - A mayonnaise is an emulsion made mostly from oil and water. The stuff in your sandwich will be made with vegetable oil and also use other flavourings like vinegar and egg yolk.

If and only if it occurs in a car engine, you get a similar consistency "white stuff" in the cam cover (aka rocker box) but it's made from condensate from the atmosphere plus mineral oil.

• Like 1

Aah I see.  The dealer that I bought it from did a full service and said that he used fully synthetic engine oil.  In the past I've used Mobil 1, so I'll probably use it myself when it next comes up for service.  Hopefully that should help.