Looking for a TV with satellite reception built in.

john999boy

Looking to change a bedroom TV and have noticed that some (inc LG) TV's also have a F-type satellite connector as well as the normal TV one. I'm wondering if this is just for FTA satellite channels and not Freesat which would include the EPG etc. Has anyone got a TV connected up this way and could confirm what reception is possible?

Also, the main criteria for this TV is that it's less than 98cm wide so could possibly stretch up to a 43" set but anything bigger wouldn't fit the intended space - a little bit smaller is fine and essentially wifi needs to be built in too.

Any suggestions or should I just go for a vanilla Freeview set as there's more of them about?

Guest FurryFriend

Our 55" LG has both aerial and sat connectors, but they no longer give manuals with the sets and to be honest we still haven't got a clue what it's capable of. Good set, great picture, built in Freeview and ethernet connection for channel streaming,  and links via phone to all sorts of stuff but a nightmare to work it all out. The remote has a mind of its own, never come across anything like it. Switch on, and it shows you yesterdays programmes.. WTF! 

LG customer support is totally hopeless. Certainly will not be buying another LG Television  again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone either! 

When I spend  £500 on a TV I expect a manual. 

Edited by FurryFriend

My sony android tv has sattelite built in. I've used it once and it takes all the free feeds it can find so you end up with ones from all over Europe as well as the UK.

I've only used it once over 18 months ago, just to look at it as I have sky so I cannot help you.  But it comes with youview so you have that epg anyway. 

On 22/08/2017 at 20:59, FurryFriend said:

Our 55" LG has both aerial and sat connectors, but they no longer give manuals with the sets and to be honest we still haven't got a clue what it's capable of. Good set, great picture, built in Freeview and ethernet connection for channel streaming,  and links via phone to all sorts of stuff but a nightmare to work it all out. The remote has a mind of its own, never come across anything like it. Switch on, and it shows you yesterdays programmes.. WTF! 

LG customer support is totally hopeless. Certainly will not be buying another LG Television  again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone either! 

When I spend  £500 on a TV I expect a manual. 

...and a service log book in your SKoda no doubt - Oh no they don't do those any more either.

LG and Skoda are just going green and not cutting down rain-forests to supply documentation that in the most part is unused.

Downloading manuals from the manufacturers customer service website is the 21st century method.  However, there's probably an offline electronic manual already in your Smart TV if you can find it in the menus.

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

With respect, the problem with built in electronic manuals is that as soon as you access them, you lose the very section of the screen and the problem you're trying to deal with. Completely anal. 

LG support have proved once again that they have typical Company Disease. Once they have your money, they don't want to know. 

This so called manual, which I have anyway is a completely useless 12 page leaflet and it comes with the set. 

90% of it is all about Elf n Safety, risks of electrocution, fire, and all the usual drivel. Like.... Don't put the TV near water....... But it doesn't actually explain anything about  how the wretched set works apart from telling you how to plug it in and follow an automatic set up guide which you'd need  a PHD to understand. For example

Do you want WGHD?   Yes /NO  

Wat the hell is WGHD....? Even our local TV  aerial guy with 45 years  installing TV's had no idea, so we clicked NO. 

And you can't complete the setup until you've done all this. 

Anyway.... They won't be seeing any more of our money. 

So NO....... DO NOT buy LG. 

Edited by FurryFriend

Could be worse. You could have chosen a zombie brand, pretending to be a quality product but actually thrown together in Turkey.

Hello Hitachi, JVC for instance. (and Blaupunkt, Polaroid etc etc)

Or even worse, a reputable Japanese brand that actually allow their labels to be put on Turkish cheapies so they have some bottom of the range products to sell.

Gotcha Toshiba.

Welcome to 21st Century electronics, they are now so complex that to explain all the features require a manual with a huge number of pages - which they are not allowed to include with every product because of "green" requirements. Result? You get a small useless "Quick Guide" that assumes you already know how to work the thing you've bought!

It's the same with all manufacturers, there's no escape...

On 8/21/2017 at 21:44, john999boy said:

Looking to change a bedroom TV and have noticed that some (inc LG) TV's also have a F-type satellite connector as well as the normal TV one. I'm wondering if this is just for FTA satellite channels and not Freesat which would include the EPG etc. Has anyone got a TV connected up this way and could confirm what reception is possible?

Not sure if this will help, John, or if i am misunderstanding your query.

I have Freesat, but only by using an old satellite box (having said that i only use it now for Absolute 80's through Hi-Fi system). To watch or record sky it's connected via scart. It is just easier to use the Freeview tuner in the tv (Panasonic)

I think tv's only have Freesat tuners rather than full satellite information. (correct me if wrong) but if you have it connected you would still get the freesat channels either way.

Just look for the Freesat logo on the tv. 

14 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

So NO....... DO NOT buy LG.

Oops - I decided to buy one! :blush

It's probably a bit OTT for a bedroom TV but what the heck.

The TV isn't totally in situ but during brief testing there appears to be multiple ways of getting a signal - cable, satellite and aerial. The satellite tuning option gave me (IIRC) an option to have just Freesat or 'all other channels (?) scanned for. Multiple sources can be used too but the test didn't get that far as the terrestrial aerial also requires rerouting. When looking at the BBC HDR Test I noticed that wifi struggled so an additional wired link is in the process of being installed to cope with the 25Mb rates required.

I wonder if all the programmes will 'combine' on an EPG or if they will stay seperate to their input?

TBC.

Edited by john999boy
Typo

LG is absolutely a top quality Korean brand like Samsung, you shouldn't have any worries.

If you have a cable from your Sky dish into the room with the new TV, Freesat is there for the taking.

It's using satellites at the same 28.2E orbital position as SKY so 1 dish can do both if required.

Guest FurryFriend

Good luck with it! 

Yes, we had to run an ethernet cable through to it, as our router is elsewhere. The wifi fi signal sometimes struggled with buffering, but no problems with the cable. 

10 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Good luck with it! 

Yes, we had to run an ethernet cable through to it, as our router is elsewhere. The wifi fi signal sometimes struggled with buffering, but no problems with the cable. 

Upgrade the WiFI to dual band 802.11ac and you'll have no problems using WiFi for streaming - that has maximum WiFi speeds over 1Gbps.

Guest FurryFriend

Yes, that's ok if you've got reasonably fast wifi to start with. Our Plusnet broadband is pretty poor, but I'm not prepared to upgrade atm. 

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

FYI the LG TV does actually have ac WiFi  but I don't have an ac router! 

I don't use the ac WiFi on my BT Home Hub (as I can't manage it to my liking) so I've disabled the Home Hub Wifi and connected a Netgear R7000 using an Ethernet cable so I get ac WiFi that I can manage, using my BT 55Mbps connection.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

3 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Does the new TV have the Freesat channels you wanted, or are you watching youtube/netflix etc on the internet instead?

I didn't really 'want' any particular Freesat channels but preferred o have a feature rich TV that covered all bases - including some I didn't know existed!

As the room is still being decorated, the TV is currently in use in another location with purely a Freeview aerial and wifi. I'm looking forward to utilising it's full potential in the very near future.