Skoda Fabia 2010 HTP 1.2 TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS?

Hi been lurking here a while.

I have a Fabia 1.2 HTP . 

Had no major problems with it but Incase any of this could be related (don't think it is) the rear door locks didn't work with the keys when we bought it (fixed) the instrument panel stopped working a few months ago revs, speedo everything (fixed buy autoelectrician: apparently just a faulty wire)

Twice in its life the EPC light has come on in the past but disappeared when engine restarted.

So a few days ago started the car, it struggled and died, tried again it started but engine management light was on, it has lost a lot of power and its juddering.

Took it to my normal garage, they plugged it in the fault(s) said fault reads camshaft sensor but didn't have time. 

SO I took it elsewhere and he just replaced the sensor for £40 in the hope it would work as I was supposed to do a long drive that day;  this didn't work.

Its been into another garage today and diagnosed the fault as the timing chain.  It also needs offside wheel bearing and an oil change. 

PRICE ALL IN :£780

I called Skoda to ask about the price of parts and length of labour to gauge if It was a fair price but all they say it is a lifetime part and shouldn't need replacing.

Now I know the chain SHOULD last the lifetime but I have read online of others with similar problems:

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic108918.aspx

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/45235-03-fabia-12-htp-timing-chain-problem/

I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any advice: 

Does the diagnosis sound correct?

Is the price fair?

Is it possible they are wrong an the whole problem be electrical!?

From my own experience with a timing chain, a tensioner failure can cause the chain to rattle and stretch a little, but the engine will still run.  The chain would have to move on the cam drive to cause rough running and then it is more likely to destroy the engine.

Fot that money I would want to be sure, and have the codes read by a proper, rather than generic, reader.  That's a big bill to foot if they are wrong.

Thank you.  Yes it is still running just as if the power cuts out as its trying to move.

They still have the car and have warned me not to drive it.

I was going to go back in the morning and ask why they are so sure its the timing chain, and what they have actually done today to diagnose it as I was on way to work when they rang and still at work now.

Shall I ask what they have used to read the fault? By proper reader do you mean by dealer or just a skoda diagnostics tool in particular?

Edited by adamshotton

Ive had it around 5 years maybe more now,

nearly 80,000 miles.

Serviced around a year ago oil change filter, spark plugs and brake pads were needed then.

I noticed a noise a few weeks ago - womp,womp,womp,womp with the sound of wheels, checked underneath cv boot had split. changed that.  The noise was still there and I suspected a bearing.

Alos around then I checked the oil, I'd prob left it 2 -3 months without checking at most if honest and it was very low ( I suspected a problem then) 

Then the car stalled and juddered so I put it in for all 3 things.

Edited by adamshotton

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Couldnt afford a new car so had the work done. Timing chain replaced and it works fine now.

BUT:

The car used to start first time everytime.

Since having it back, if the car sits a while it cranks but wont start till 2nd attempt.  Its going back wed for the same garage to check.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideasof what could cause this problem?  Coukd it be related to what the garage have done or unfortunate and something else is now wrong.

Wish i coulda part exd it to be honest but im still paying for the car and couldnt pay out for a new one!!!

Just picked up on this thread. Don't want to sound too negative but frankly I doubt it was the camchain, they are very solid on the HTP (unlike the TSI). In any case, you would have heard lots of start up rattles for a long time warning you before ultimate failure. And failure usually leads to major engine damage to the head, valves and piston crowns.

Most likely it was just a faulty coilpak (£25 for the part, 5 mins to swap), very very common on the HTP. Almost every HTP will suffer one or two coilpak failures over time. Occasional EML clearing was likely the odd misfire from the coilpak insulation breaking down. When they fail the engine judders like hell with little power and the eml light comes on.

Starting problem suggest the garage didnt do the diagnostic adaption required to reset the timing etc after changing the chain or did it wrong.

Edited by xman