VCDS - VCP - ODIS

• 3 weeks later...

VCDS is probably the most supported and easiest to use.

VCP is harder to use but also allows flashing firmware files and has many extra functions.

ODIS is dealer level, much harder to use and no support unless you pay VAG.

I use VCDS the most and it's probably the best starting point.

• Like 1

TIL about ODIS. There seems to be quite a discrepancy in online prices, going between the astounding and probably dodgy $80 to a ball aching $2000. Any good site for finding reasonable legal pricing? We're going to have to get new cars eventually and then a new tool will be needed.

As it is now. As a "shade tree" mechanic, and general user who doesn't work on anything but their own cars ... VCDS does everything I need it to do for now. Also, as our cars are both older models for now, VCDS-lite is all I have and all I need.

7 minutes ago, LightRain said:

TIL about ODIS. There seems to be quite a discrepancy in online prices, going between the astounding and probably dodgy $80 to a ball aching $2000. Any good site for finding reasonable legal pricing? We're going to have to get new cars eventually and then a new tool will be needed.

As it is now. As a "shade tree" mechanic, and general user who doesn't work on anything but their own cars ... VCDS does everything I need it to do for now. Also, as our cars are both older models for now, VCDS-lite is all I have and all I need.

Yes for your 2001 model the lite versio is the best to have and use otherwise i don't know if there is anything else you can afford to have.

17 minutes ago, AkisVH said:

what maybe the main differences between VCP and VCDS for example? Is something important or not for us really?

VCP can flash module software, perform parameterisation on some modules and has a number of 'One Click Functions' to help with various functions. There is also a yearly fee to keep VCP updated.

The downside is that most guides aren't written for VCP and they don't have the text strings VCDS have added to most module coding helpers.

20 minutes ago, LightRain said:

Genuine is super expensive. After the initial hardware cost, there are also per month per brand fees. There is little reason to get ODIS as a newer VCDS cable will do most of what you'd need to on current vehicles.

19 minutes ago, AkisVH said:

How did you retrofit the XDS diff, is it something i can do also? It has ESP with controlled diff but not XDS.

Only some ABS modules support XDS.

Good list of ABS modules in a FL Octavia can be found here. If yours is either PR-UG3 or UG4 then it just needs coding in.

If my module does support and can be able to code both HHC & XDS, how are these enabled then? Via Maxidot?

Does the TCS button on the console activate/deactivate the other options?

Also Langers2k how will i understand how the XDS responds? Currently the diff is electronically controlled and i hear it when one of the front motive wheel loses traction then a characteristic sound is heard and ammount of torque is transmitted to the other wheel so that eliminating traction lost .  

XDS? what behaviour?

Also HHC how enable with manual 6 box?

Thank you!

Have you installed factory parking sensors module in order to have the dip mirrors in reverse?

I have enabled and can see in Maxidot but not working when reverse, probably due to lack of appropirate controller?

Regards,

Once coded, they are always enabled. There is no maxidot option to enable/disable although you can adjust the strength using VCDS. The TCS button can still be used to disable traction control as normal.

Quote from VW:

The electronic differential lock permits smooth, comfortable starts on split-friction road surfaces with differing levels of grip. If one wheel starts to spin, the electronic differential lock will brake the wheel as necessary, directing power to the wheel with better grip in the process. The electronic differential lock reduces tyre wear and operates at speeds of up to around 40 km/h (4MOTION: up to about 80 km/h).

The XDS electronic differential lock is an extension of the familiar EDL function. However, XDS responds not to loss of traction but to the unloading of the front wheel on the inside of the corner when cornering fast. XDS applies pressure from the ESC hydraulics to the inside wheel to prevent it from spinning. This improves traction and reduces the tendency to understeer. The level of pressure applied ranges from approximately 5 to 15 bar. The impression when driving is similar to that of a limited-slip differential in toned-down form. The precise, one-sided build-up of brake pressure makes cornering even sportier, quicker and more accurate.

So EDL and XDS both use the brakes to move power around the car to maximise traction but respond in different situations.

EDL is to correct loss of traction, XDS helps prevent loss of traction from even happening and reduce understeer.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, langers2k said:

Once coded, they are always enabled. There is no maxidot option to enable/disable although you can adjust the strength using VCDS. The TCS button can still be used to disable traction control as normal.

Quote from VW:

So EDL and XDS both use the brakes to move power around the car to maximise traction but respond in different situations.

EDL is to correct loss of traction, XDS helps prevent loss of traction from even happening and reduce understeer.

OK thank you pal,

And what about HHC? I can not think how does this work in manual box.

Regards,

HHC works with a manual.

When on a slope, as you take your foot off the brake onto the throttle, it holds the brakes on for 2-3 seconds to stop the car rolling back. Obviously you can use the handbrake to do the same thing ;)

This is different to autohold which will hold the car for a much longer period.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, langers2k said:

HHC works with a manual.

When on a slope, as you take your foot off the brake onto the throttle, it holds the brakes on for 2-3 seconds to stop the car rolling back. Obviously you can use the handbrake to do the same thing ;)

This is different to autohold which will hold the car for a much longer period.

Good!

Autohold you mean when there is an auto dsg etc?

What if the car is in slope with the front side down, will work the same way?

PLease let me know also about the dip of the mirrors if you have the original parking controller to do that.

Have nice day,

1 hour ago, AkisVH said:

Autohold you mean when there is an auto dsg etc?

What if the car is in slope with the front side down, will work the same way?

I believe so.

1 hour ago, AkisVH said:

Please let me know also about the dip of the mirrors if you have the original parking controller to do that.

When I added dip on reverse, I changed the mirror motor in the wing mirror.

Standard ones have ~3 wires and memory motors have ~7 wires. I'm not sure if anything else is needed, I imagine it'll depend if your passenger door controller supports dip on reverse...

16 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I believe so.

When I added dip on reverse, I changed the mirror motor in the wing mirror.

Standard ones have ~3 wires and memory motors have ~7 wires. I'm not sure if anything else is needed, I imagine it'll depend if your passenger door controller supports dip on reverse...

Where did you source a good passenger's door mirro motor?

I can scan the controller but not sure how to figure out if supports the new motor.

also where the passengr's controller is located?

11 minutes ago, AkisVH said:

Where did you source a good passenger's door mirro motor?

I can scan the controller but not sure how to figure out if supports the new motor.

also where the passengr's controller is located?

Mine came attached to a folding mirror I was retrofitting at the time.

The passenger door controller is in the door, you'll need to take the door card off to get access. I expect if the door controller has the correct pins installed, it'll probably work.

Motor is something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/VW-Golf-6-Jetta-MK6-Tiguan-Passat-Rearview-Mirror-Down-Motor-3D0959578C/625916_32350405340.html

Rough guide in Russian: https://www.drive2.ru/l/2050220/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Mine came attached to a folding mirror I was retrofitting at the time.

The passenger door controller is in the door, you'll need to take the door card off to get access. I expect if the door controller has the correct pins installed, it'll probably work.

Motor is something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/VW-Golf-6-Jetta-MK6-Tiguan-Passat-Rearview-Mirror-Down-Motor-3D0959578C/625916_32350405340.html

Rough guide in Russian: https://www.drive2.ru/l/2050220/

Ok thank you,

I'll check all the relevant in my car...

I have seen in your OEM xenon retrofiting guide one photo of your maxidot which indicates  "Break recom."  option. What is this for really, i  only have the  "Bend lightning"  and  "Travel mode"  in the main menu - Thank you.

Also have you found out if possible to enable AFS2 in our OEM systems?
Shall  the module run really software  SW:0148 and up in order to be able?
I will check mine but not sure if VCDS has the option to enable AFS2 as far as i remmber..

Have nice day!

Just now, AkisVH said:

I have seen in your OEM xenon retrofiting guide one photo of your maxidot which indicates  "Break recom."  option.

That's for fatigue detection, also known as MKE (Mudigkeitserkennung) or DAS (Driver Alert System).

It monitors your driving and alerts you if it believes you're tired. Depending which CAN gateway you have, it might just need enabling or flashing. I think it also needs support from the instrument cluster, steering and ABS (with ESP) modules.

Just now, AkisVH said:

Also have you found out if possible to enable AFS2 in our OEM systems?
Shall  the module run really software  SW:0148 and up in order to be able?

Both 'city' and 'motorway' mode activate so I believe AFS2 is working correctly. I've not sure about 'rain' mode as I've not logged the headlight behaviour during rain.

My module is a 5M0 907 357 C running SW: 0148, I don't think it works on earlier versions.

Try 1311190 for RHD or 1310934 for LHD. You will need to perform the basic settings and have your headlights realigned after making this change.

• Like 1

That's for fatigue detection, also known as MKE (Mudigkeitserkennung) or DAS (Driver Alert System).

It monitors your driving and alerts you if it believes you're tired. Depending which CAN gateway you have, it might just need enabling or flashing. I think it also needs support from the instrument cluster, steering and ABS (with ESP) modules.

Which CAN version do you have? Will have to compare with yours as regarding to test..

I wonder how would really work if in a fatigue purpose..

The steering of my car has the ability to "help" alittle the situation when started to lose control and it tries to correct you........I assume the steering has the ability , right?

So as regarding, the ABS/ESP must follow to be compatible i believe due to dicline correction......

Both 'city' and 'motorway' mode activate so I believe AFS2 is working correctly. I've not sure about 'rain' mode as I've not logged the headlight behaviour during rain.

My module is a 5M0 907 357 C running SW: 0148, I don't think it works on earlier versions.

Try 1311190 for RHD or 1310934 for LHD. You will need to perform the basic settings and have your headlights realigned after making this change.

I will try those values mate.  Why you indicate RHD  OR  LHD?  shouldn't both be changed with the new values?

Just sometime in the past years i had once readjusted the beam of the headlights to a little higher position than the factory's one as i thought it didn't provide long-distance lightning and thought sometimes i had lack of seeing-well at nights at some points in front.....and after that it is really much better.

I did that manually using VCDS to memorize the new setting but using a...wall really to adjust the aim but do not remmeber which screws of 2 for each headlight and how much.  I prefered the right (outside road) to be a little higher really and left (inside road) kept almost in the same position...

Now how am i setting them back in factory?

Not sure if any guide really but this has to do with how much the headlight  screws have been moved...

I had also tried to set to dealers but they didn't aim correclty and were too high as a result other drivers had problem.

For activating AFS2 i understand they need to be reset to factory, but ..

Regards

4 minutes ago, AkisVH said:

Which CAN version do you have? Will have to compare with yours as regarding to test..

I wonder how would really work if in a fatigue purpose..

7N0 907 530 AN flashed to 7N0 907 530 BL. I am sure other gateways can be flashed to support MKE but I don't have a list. It's a popular topic on drive2, a quick search will provide full instructions and flash files. Mine has warned once or twice.

I will try those values mate.  Why you indicate RHD  OR  LHD?  shouldn't both be changed with the new values?

The value depends on which side of the road you use. In the UK we are RHD but in Greece you're LHD so I included both. You are only changing the coding of the AFS master (address 55). The code will also change for 4x4 (Scout) and if ABS without ESP is fitted. The two given assume FWD and ESP.

For activating AFS2 i understand they need to be reset to factory, but ..

They need to be reset as the code provided is a mixture of other cars codings, this means the zeroed/default/rest position of the headlights will change.

If you don't realign them using the adjustment screws, they are completely in the wrong...