Major failure soon after Haldex and DSG oil changes

pipmurray

Does sound a bit odd that the car was fine before the haldex oil change then 3 weeks later the diff explodes....hmm.. i would have thought if the mechanic had drained the diff instead of the haldex (have seen this happen before) then you would have had problems sooner than 3 weeks,it could just be one of those things,hopefully your warranty will cover it for you,i would be asking for pictures of the damaged diff though,can you go down to the garage & take some pictures of the damaged part? I know on my Golf there is a filter on the end of the haldex pump & now decent mechanics are removing the pump at the same time as carrying out the haldex oil change & removing the filter off the end of it & cleaning it out,ive seen some pictures recently where the old oil was clean but the pump filter was covered in thick black sludge.I know VW have now changed the haldex oil change interval to 3 years 30k instead of 4 years.

Edited by mikey vrs

?

3 weeks,  but how many miles were covered in the 3 weeks.

?

Is it just VW that have changed the Haldex Interval for servicing to 3 years / 30,000 miles, or the VW Group, ie Skoda, SEAT, Audi & VW?

?

When did this Service Schedule / Guidelines get put out as a TPI and then changes to Online Information to Owners etc?

On 05/09/2017 at 18:09, DGW said:

My car was on the ramp Monday to see what the problem was.  The warranty company authorised the repair the following day. The complete rear transmission was with the dealer on Wednesday and I collected the car 2 days later.

Better result than I am getting. Service mgr rang me with an update this

afternoon to say warranty company which is VAG Financial Services I believe

may want to send an assessor out due to the cost involved so he couldn't 

order the part. Need to make some more phone calls tomorrow morning.

Got absolutely nowhere with contribution request or any chance of a loan car.

Just pay the excess as it's just like any insurance policy and no loan cars available for love or money. Blade Skoda in Bristol by the way.

You never know how good your dealer/manufacturer/warranty is until 

something goes wrong.

Who  was your warranty with?

• Like 1

You need to talk person to person with the Dealership Principal then the Organ Grinder knows what is going on.

?

Have you talked with a Skoda UK Customer Services Communication Manager or the Warranty Provider you have your Warranty with?

An Assessor going out is perfect as long as you get a copy of 'Their Written Report', since you are the person with The Warranty' on Your Car.

10 hours ago, mikey vrs said:

Does sound a bit odd that the car was fine before the haldex oil change then 3 weeks later the diff explodes....hmm.. i would have thought if the mechanic had drained the diff instead of the haldex (have seen this happen before) then you would have had problems sooner than 3 weeks,it could just be one of those things,hopefully your warranty will cover it for you,i would be asking for pictures of the damaged diff though,can you go down to the garage & take some pictures of the damaged part? I know on my Golf there is a filter on the end of the haldex pump & now decent mechanics are removing the pump at the same time as carrying out the haldex oil change & removing the filter off the end of it & cleaning it out,ive seen some pictures recently where the old oil was clean but the pump filter was covered in thick black sludge.I know VW have now changed the haldex oil change interval to 3 years 30k instead of 4 years.

The story from the service mgr is that these three items in the transmission 

chain are sort of independent. He says the oil in the haldex and dsg unit was fine. The diff is a sealed unit and never needs to be serviced. A cog got chipped maybe and after some time it disintegrated and the diff ended up cracked and

in a big mess.

I tend to trust people and if they sound like a nice guy trust them to be honest.

This may be naive when it comes to the motor trade!!

I'm retired and don't mind waiting a bit longer for things to be resolved but

what does annoy me is the total lack of a loan car. Paying out for a hire car

for some indeterminate time really.... But what is any other option to get

transport pdq if something like this happens.

Got an S line Ford Focus and am very impressed. Going to visit my local Ford dealer to check out the Kuga. Skoda and Seat Ateca now gone out the

window.

10 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

3 weeks,  but how many miles were covered in the 3 weeks.

?

Is it just VW that have changed the Haldex Interval for servicing to 3 years / 30,000 miles, or the VW Group, ie Skoda, SEAT, Audi & VW?

?

When did this Service Schedule / Guidelines get put out as a TPI and then changes to Online Information to Owners etc?

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

You need to talk person to person with the Dealership Principal then the Organ Grinder knows what is going on.

?

Have you talked with a Skoda UK Customer Services Communication Manager or the Warranty Provider you have your Warranty with?

An Assessor going out is perfect as long as you get a copy of 'Their Written Report', since you are the person with The Warranty' on Your Car.

Covered very few miles in the 3 weeks.

Got so many other things to do can't really be bothered with trying to contact

any other people. Too many unanswered phone calls or people that don't get back to you that take up half a day. Too much hassle on top of the aggro of

the breakdown!

The DSG is really nothing to do with any of it. Serviced Correctly.

The sad thing is only the Dealership knows if their Tech is competent and it is 'just one of those coincidences', or not that unusual from their workshops.

They need to get on with getting that 'Warranty Manager' in to inspect the failure, agree the Warranty Work, and get the Courtesy car arranged.

EDIT, 

PS you should be having them communicate by Email so you have a record, 

because '3 monkeys' and their time is always more important to them than the customers.

Covering for work mates is always going to be a priority over admitting to any errors that might have occurred, if such things happen.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

44 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The DSG is really nothing to do with any of it. Serviced Correctly.

The sad thing is only the Dealership knows if their Tech is competent and it is 'just one of those coincidences', or not that unusual from their workshops.

They need to get on with getting that 'Warranty Manager' in to inspect the failure, agree the Warranty Work, and get the Courtesy car arranged.

EDIT, 

PS you should be having them communicate by Email so you have a record, 

because '3 monkeys' and their time is always more important to them than the customers.

Covering for work mates is always going to be a priority over admitting to any errors that might have occurred, if such things happen.

I think I will just let them get on with it as long as they don't try and get out of

the warranty claim. Looking on the bright side as my wife says it's only money!

After driving the automatic Yeti for the last few years I am still having problems

with stalling this manual car. No doubt it will become second nature after about a month haha but why bother. Why buy a manual car when some automatics are so good. What a faff. A lot of high end sports cars are now coming with 

automatic as standard. Will never buy another manual car again for sure.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pipmurray said:

The story from the service mgr is that these three items in the transmission 

chain are sort of independent. He says the oil in the haldex and dsg unit was fine. The diff is a sealed unit and never needs to be serviced. A cog got chipped maybe and after some time it disintegrated and the diff ended up cracked and

in a big mess.

I tend to trust people and if they sound like a nice guy trust them to be honest.

This may be naive when it comes to the motor trade!!

I'm retired and don't mind waiting a bit longer for things to be resolved but

what does annoy me is the total lack of a loan car. Paying out for a hire car

for some indeterminate time really.... But what is any other option to get

transport pdq if something like this happens.

Got an S line Ford Focus and am very impressed. Going to visit my local Ford dealer to check out the Kuga. Skoda and Seat Ateca now gone out the

window.

The diff is not a sealed unit as such,it can still have its oil changed but there is no instructed service interval,i will be changing my haldex oil & rear diff oil soon as im a mechanic & like to look after my cars for long term usage,i changed my manual gearbox oil on my octavia (there is a post on here) a few years ago & the oil that came out was horrible & the gear change was much improved afterwards,im not sure how the dealer can say the oils were ok as your post says there was a big bang & oil all over the floor,as you didnt cover many miles since the work was carried out & there was no issues before the work was done i still think the tech/mechanic has made a mistake & caused this (ive seen a diff drained instead of the haldex unit & the car sent out with the haldex full but the diff empty) but its only speculation on my part & we will probably never know. 

Edited by mikey vrs

1 hour ago, mikey vrs said:

The diff is not a sealed unit as such,it can still have its oil changed but there is no instructed service interval,i will be changing my haldex oil & rear diff oil soon as im a mechanic & like to look after my cars for long term usage,i changed my manual gearbox oil on my octavia (there is a post on here) a few years ago & the oil that came out was horrible & the gear change was much improved afterwards,im not sure how the dealer can say the oils were ok as your post says there was a big bang & oil all over the floor,as you didnt cover many miles since the work was carried out & there was no issues before the work was done i still think the tech/mechanic has made a mistake & caused this (ive seen a diff drained instead of the haldex unit & the car sent out with the haldex full but the diff empty) but its only speculation on my part & we will probably never know. 

Thanks, very interesting. Absolutely correct, we will never know what happened.

Latest update is that the warranty people have authorised the repair and the part should be with the garage tomorrow. Service mge couldn't guarantee that the car would be done this week. Doesn't know how long the job will take. Watch this space!

2 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

Can you tell us please which Haldex VW have changed the Service interval to 30,000 miles / 3 years?  

Thanks

All i know is i rang my dealer & asked about my Golf R as some owners on the forum have had theirs done at the 3 year/30k service as instructed by their dealer & they confirmed that it has been changed from 4 years/40k to 3 years 30k as they are seeing issues with the haldex pump filters getting blocked up. 

• Thanks 1

So the Mk7 Golf R Haldex as far as a VW DEalership have told you.

VW Group / UK will have to be covering that extra servicing charge then to those that own cars, pay the servicing and bought them knowing 

DSG & Haldex Servicing intervals were at 40,000 miles.

VWVortex.com - 30k Mile Service Haldex Fluid Change.mhtml

1 minute ago, Headinawayoffski said:

So the Mk7 Golf R Haldex as far as a VW DEalership have told you.

VW Group / UK will have to be covering that extra servicing charge then to those that own cars, pay the servicing and bought them knowing 

DSG & Haldex Servicing intervals were at 40,000 miles.

Only going off what ive been told/seen from other owners & my dealer,im a old school mechanic & think oils should be changed regularly anyway as i dont agree with all this "sealed for life" rubbish or even extended engine oil intervals (but thats my opinion as i keep my cars for years) i cant find the picture of the worse pump filter (it was totally blocked) but below is one posted by a Golf R owner,car was just under 3 years old hence why im happy to do my haldex & clean the pump filter every 3 years. Glad the OP is getting his sorted under warranty anyway. 

Haldex pump.jpg

Sealed for life nothing to do with it if a 40,00 mile Service Schedule.

But if the Golf R Haldex is now 30,000 miles it will be interesting to see what ever VW Group Haldex have that change, 

SEAT or Audi if it is just the higher powered output engines Haldex.

Or maybe the Superb 280's as well.

You can't really believe ANYTHING blade are saying ,I think it's all too much of a coincidence in the time and work done in the period given and without an independent examination they have every opportunity to cover up any f*** up they MAY have made,so an independent examination is vital to have a fair result,best of luck.

On 07/09/2017 at 20:16, Sad555 said:

You can't really believe ANYTHING blade are saying ,I think it's all too much of a coincidence in the time and work done in the period given and without an independent examination they have every opportunity to cover up any f*** up they MAY have made,so an independent examination is vital to have a fair result,best of luck.

Blade got the new diff fitted by 3pm so I went down in the hire car to pick it

up. Whilst waiting for them to give the Yeti a clean I wandered into the Seat part of the showroom. You may not believe the next bit.

Low and behold they had a pre reg top of the range Ateca Excellence with extra

goodies and only 12 miles on the clock. Lava Blue, 190bhp diesel 4 wheel drive with DSG. Nearly £7k off retail.

Bought it!. Will get 67 reg have been assured. Yeti traded in and Ateca picked up next weekend. Bit impulsive maybe. The BMW i agent I've been talking to for a

few months will not be happy!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pipmurray said:

Thanks. Was this a good idea!

Love the Yeti but this latest issue brought it home that there could be other major difficulties lurking. Been reading some other forums and I think I got

away pretty lucky with four years trouble free motoring before a major failure.

Lots of stories much much worse than mine.

There's a time to get shot and seeing the Ateca was maybe a sign. We shall see.

9 hours ago, pipmurray said:

Thanks. Was this a good idea!

For you yes!

I bought a new Yeti in March to replace a 2012 Yeti which had provided 5 years of trouble free happy motoring. Looked at the Ateca but bigger than I needed. Yeti provides what I want in a relatively compact footprint with large windows all round. Perfect for me.