Keep my VRS230 or move back to Renaultsport?

Hi all,

Really not sure what to do ... When I bought my 230 last year I very nearly bought a Megane 275 instead. I've always been a lover of Renaultsport cars, having previously owned three ... However when this Skoda came up for sale I couldn't say no!

I've been keeping an eye on the market and keep getting tempted to swap to a Megane. The 230 is really nice, don't get me wrong, but even with the remap and Eibachs it doesn't turn me on like the RS Meganes do. I drove both at the time and adored the Megane, but the Octavia made more sense, probably due to the spec and DSG.

I've been given some good trade-in prices, so now would probably be as good a time as any to swap with little cash outlay.

I know they're two polar opposite cars and there's things I'd really miss from the Octavia, but the Megane would make up for that through the driving experience.

Am I mad?

Not necessarily no and it sounds like you've almost made your mind up.

If you don't need the space of the Octavia the Megane is a better hot hatch and more exciting. Interior I think the Octavia is better, but ultimately no one buys a hot hatch purely for the interior.

Haven't driven a Megane but the Astra VXR is also pretty damn good if you want a hot hatch. Had plenty of fun on a few tracks with the VXR and if I didn't need the Octavia's space it would be on my shortlist.

Since I've got the same motor as you (minus the DSG) with the same mods, I get what you mean about 'head vs heart' decision with the VRS vs. the other hotter hatches. It's like the James May "Fizz" feeling; you get it with some, not so much with others. My N/A '07 Fiesta S was definitely a 'fizz' car, just for the chassis and the noise of the K&N induction. Interior was 'meh', seat levers broke so for 3 years I was manually winding the seats down to get people in the back... but it was enormous fun every time I went out in it.

For the VRS, I get the same 'fizz' feeling but only very occasionally - twisty roads, burble of the Scorpion turbo-back on overrun, great seating position. The Eibachs definitely sealed the deal for this though, massive improvement on handling.

But I think a lot of the feel for me personally is the fact that this car does everything (and I've only got 1 car between myself and Miss Ads); space (for MTB bikes and 'stuff' - been amazing for moving house, currently), speed, quality of interior (for the price), VAG-moddability, reliability (so far). I like that 'swiss army'-type utility of this model - hence why I bought it outright and aim to keep it for at least another 6 years.

Totally depends on your situation; if you're a car man, it's usually 40% head, 60% heart (+/- lots of %). Go for another test drive and see if you can see yourself parting with the VRS cleanly...

Yeah, I'm a car lover, and previous Alfa owner. That was a heart over head purchase if there ever was one!

I'm back from France on Saturday (where the car has performed amazingly I might add) so I'll go take a test drive on Monday I think and put things into perspective.

I do love the practicality of the Octavia, and the fact it makes driving oh so easy, it's not set a foot wrong to be honest ... There's a hell of a lot to like about it, especially in winter with everything being heated!

If anyone's after a petrol VRS at the mo, take a look at my project thread ... A pm with a decent offer might make my mind up lol. It's just about to hit 16k miles.

It depends what you feel is the biggest sacrifice/compromise: 

1.  Can you live with the better spec (quality???) and space of the Octavia and forego it's softer performance vs the Megane

or 

2.  Can you live with the better performance and the pure driving pleasure of the Megane and forego it's lower spec and lower space vs the Octavia

Also what type of driving do you do, where do you spend the most time?  The Octavia is defo going to be the A road cruiser whilst the Megane is the B road blaster.   

Also, of less importance (buy the car to enjoy now) BUT.... if you get the Megane and regret it, how much value will the car have in 6/12/18 months time?  I know a few lads with both Clio and Megane sports and future value wasn't the best.  

Also, stop this stupidity and buy a Focus RS :D

Just now, penguin17 said:

Also, stop this stupidity and buy a Focus RS :D

Lol, I'd only have it for a week before it got stolen - they disappear every week here in the West Mids.

Admittedly my commute is rubbish, so the Octy makes it much more bearable, and the adaptive cruise is a godsend on the way home, but that Megane chassis ... It'd have me taking a different route home ;)

11 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Why not  a Leon Cupra?

My friend has a Megane RS and I took it for a long and spirited ride and, although great handling, the suspension felt quite hard for the road.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Cupra after driving it, plus it's almost identical to the Skoda technology and platform-wise. It's very Germanic.

That's the appeal of the RS - it's totally different. And yes, probably too harsh for a daily driver lol

11 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Lol, I'd only have it for a week before it got stolen - they disappear every week here in the West Mids.

Admittedly my commute is rubbish, so the Octy makes it much more bearable, and the adaptive cruise is a godsend on the way home, but that Megane chassis ... It'd have me taking a different route home ;)

Same up here for the Golf R, they're Scrote Candy.

What about a 245 vRS with DCC?  Or a Golf R estate?    I can image the Megane being a very uncompromising place to spend a commute in.  If I was doing a lot of commuting miles then I know I'd rather spend the time feeling more relaxed and not arrive with my ears bleeding and my spleen ruptured. 

I went from a heavily sound proofed (as standard it was awful) MY14 Leon FR to a Superb and driving to work in a quieter, more refined environment so much nicer.  The Leon had the REVO treatment with 232bhp and 500Nm and whilst that's nothing in terms of a proper, modern hot hatch it wasn't exactly a slouch. I do miss that mid-range overtaking ability maybe 5% of the time but I would never in a million years own another Leon.  Having the refinement, spec and all round ability of the Superb just makes it a nicer place to be.  My wife and kids also approve. 

Again, for me it wouldn't be about what you want most, it's about what compromises you're willing to accept.  

7 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Again, for me it wouldn't be about what you want most, it's about what compromises you're willing to accept.  

Yeah, as others have said previously, that's probably a better way to look at it.

I don't dislike the Octavia at all, which makes it hard. I think I'm probably just restless.

A 245 would cost me too much unfortunately. Plus mine is stupidly speccd up (everything bar kessy, sunroof and canton) so I think moving to another similar car would be disappointing.

Moving from a petrol vRS to a Golf R I thought they would basically be the same car.

Turns out the Golf 'feels' much more like a hot hatch compared to the vRS and makes me feel like I should have the windows down and music blaring!

the Megane would make you feel like the Golf but with a really unsociable exhaust!!! :-)

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I've stuck a quick for sale thread up to see if I get any interest though I doubt I will - the private market for cars of this value doesn't really exist any more.

Going to have a look at a Megane next week, so we'll see what that brings.

Will be kind of sorry to see the Octavia go as it's a really good car and the other half loves it, but I need to do what makes me happy! 

Will probably end up keeping it for a further year or so if this potential exchange falls through as the longer I leave it the less an exchange makes sense.