K&N KN-204 oil filter recall

D402

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my filter is one of those affected so I've contacted K&N UK by emailing [email protected] .  Here's their response:

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your enquiry,

It does appear that your filter is within our affected recall range and therefore we would stress not to use the vehicle until this filter has been swapped out.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

We will endeavor to make swapping out this filter as quick and easy as possible:

To start the exchange process please can you supply some further information:

Please can you supply proof of purchase/purchase date?
Vehicle make & model
Vehicle registration?
Since when/ how long the filter was fitted?
Please can you also give us an indication of the mileage this oil filter will have covered?

Once this information is supplied we will offer further instructions on how to proceed.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Lucky I kept the invoice from service time and have my wife's CBF600 to ride in the meantime.

?

Have they not arranged the uplift of your bike yet to be taken to have the oil and filter changed at a Main Dealership or Qualified Technician and 

then returned to you?

Their safety critical recall and they need to get their backsides in action a bit quicker, 

or do they just think the owner should get on with the oil & filter change and they get off with just compensation for the oil and filter?

Edited by Headinawayoffski

cheeky buggers. 

basically... 'yeah its effected... dont ride your bike... we'll take our time and you need to provide us with every little bit of information to stop us wriggling out of it in the mean time, so we can eventually replace something which was our **** up anyway. 

Thanks for your custom. 

Enjoy your walk. ' 

I provided the requested information (I agree that they're asking for more than seems necessary) on Friday and had a reply on Monday with instructions - I can either order a replacement filter from their web shop then return the defective filter for a refund which will include the return postage, or return the defective filter then they'll send a replacement and refund the postage.  Seems reasonable to me and all their responses have been swift and professional suggesting they are taking this seriously.

5 hours ago, D402 said:

I provided the requested information (I agree that they're asking for more than seems necessary) on Friday and had a reply on Monday with instructions - I can either order a replacement filter from their web shop then return the defective filter for a refund which will include the return postage, or return the defective filter then they'll send a replacement and refund the postage.  Seems reasonable to me and all their responses have been swift and professional suggesting they are taking this seriously.

You'd think they'd just post you a new one out tbf as long as they've seen a picture of yours... must cost them peanuts. 

I guess they dont want anyone blagging a free filter for nout. 

Seems a bit of an awkward way round. Just send out replacements on proof of purchase or photo of filter. I can't imagine the Royal Mail  will be thrilled to return all those used filters with oil still in them. 

In fact used motor oil is prohibited under environmental waste. Maybe you should bring it their attention and just get get a replacement sent out. 

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/DangerousGoods_BusinessCustomerBooklet_July2013_0.pdf..unpublished

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

Good points about posting used filters and the DVSA; the US recall does involve NHTSA, their equivalent agency.

I bought my filter from Amazon and had an email from them this morning advising me to contact K&N so they are actively trying to trace the defective filters. 

• 1 month later...

The numbers had worn off mine too but K&N still replaced it.  My bike's oil was freshly changed when the recall cropped up so I fitted the replacement filter.