2nd year service - completed

Jonny118118

So today the Citigo went in for its 2nd year service at 5000 miles. 

Outcome;

Booked for collection at 9am,

Came at 9:30am,

went over required warranty work (side repeaters and whining/squeak noise when braking and coming to a stop. 

Also asked about a stone chip and said that the car had its touch up paint with it. 

They took the car to the garage approx 3 miles away. 

Afternoon;

Dealer rang saying service was completed. Side repeaters were confirmed by them that they require new ones, so they're ordering them in under warranty. The whining/squeaking noise they've put down as OSF brakes, outer brake pad showing signs of sticking - recommend front brake service / strip down and clean quoted at £45 including VAT. They then went onto the stone chip I asked about, they didn't realise the car had its own touch up paint in the glovebox :dull:.... so i'll tell them again when I go for the side repeaters. 

2nd year service;

- oil change (plat 5W40 T&D)

- pollen filter

- oil filter 

- washer

- screen wash

- free health check

Total of £140. 

Im happy with the price of the service and what they've said to have done. I'm just not so sure about the whining/squeaking noise, £45 just for getting the front brakes cleaned, is that a decent quote? I'm not sure. 

I guess that's an hours labour, about right seeing as they'll round it up to the nearest hour. I did that exact job on my partners car last week and it took me about 25 mins a side even fighting through the rust and I don't have access to a 4 post lift or a selection of high quality tools. A trained mechanic with all the above should have it done quicker but they will round up I guess so it's not the end of the world. Just watch for them telling you it needs new brakes while they're in bits, if they recommend replacement, get the bits from TPS and take them there, insisting to see the old parts. 5000 miles in it shouldn't need any new bits, my pads are as thick as they were new :)

?

Did you ask them to use 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00) oil?  

Most use 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long life (VW504 00) be it fixed or Variable / Flexible servicing.

Price OK for a Service that included the pollen filter.

@ 2 years they should have been taking off and cleaning the rear drums, 

and seeing as likely they did not, they could have taken out the front pads and put some copper grease on the back.

As to a stone chip, that really is beyond the call of duty and not something that normally will be something a Technician servicing a car touches,

but then it should be on the 'Body Inspection' of a 2 year service, 'Stone Chip' and location.

3 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

Did you ask them to use 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00) oil?  

Most use 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long life (VW504 00) be it fixed or Variable / Flexible servicing.

Price OK for a Service that included the pollen filter.

@ 2 years they should have been taking off and cleaning the rear drums, 

and seeing as likely they did not, they could have taken out the front pads and put some copper grease on the back.

As to a stone chip, that really is beyond the call of duty and not something that normally will be something a Technician servicing a car touches,

but then it should be on the 'Body Inspection' of a 2 year service, 'Stone Chip' and location.

Didn't ask them to use any particular product. On the invoice it just states what I've listed so I hope they have done what they're meant to! 

It did sound like they'd do the stone chip, they just didn't realise I meant the touch up paint was in the glovebox. They thought it was something they'd ordered in for them to do :dull:

Edited by Jonny118118

27 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

That's a great price.... We paid £159 last week for the first service on ours. (Skoda's minor service price).

First time I've used our dealer, didn't know what to expect. They get good and bad reviews. 

13 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

That's a great price.... We paid £159 last week for the first service on ours. (Skoda's minor service price).

Don't forget that Skoda's Price is the MAXIMUM that a dealer is permitted to charge....the dealer is free to charge what he likes , up to that maximum.

My first service (three years ago) was quoted at £139....I mentioned that some on here had got it for less than £100, and the reply was "OK, how does £90 sound?). It was that easy!

I've "negotiated" about a third off quoted prices ever since....and, yes, the second service did include a rear brake "strip and clean".

Small Point, Dealership can charge 'Less than the Skoda National Pricing' @ participating Dealership, over 3 years old etc etc.

&

Dealership can also not be a 'Participating Dealership', so there is no 'Up to a maximum',  

they are free to charge as high as they think they can, and some do.  Why some refer to them as Stealers.

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Small Point, Dealership can charge 'Less than the Skoda National Pricing' @ participating Dealership, over 3 years old etc etc.

&

Dealership can also not be a 'Participating Dealership', so there is no 'Up to a maximum',  

they are free to charge as high as they think they can, and some do.  Why some refer to them as Stealers.

Yes, but I assume that if they are displaying the Skoda National Pricing List, then they ARE a "participating dealership".

The point I was making is that, even if prices are displayed in the service department, they are  not definitive....it's always worth negotiating/ haggling.

Negotiating is always good where Service Desk Staff do not say 'that is the price on the computer'.

Anyone looking at the 'Fixed Service Regime prices' should read the bit on the 3 years (mot)-10 year old.

Many get caught out by this when saying i though it was a Fixed Price, when it is vehicles under 3 years old, and you just want the servicing required and at a fair price.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

The Sump Plug should appear on the Invoice, even where the oil is sucked out the dip stick tube as it is so often now the sump plug gets replaced when the oil is out as per the VW Service instructions.  H&S has oil being sucked out by many main dealership workshops.

Our dealer gives a report what's done for the car. There is also advise for the mechanic: Oil needs to be drained as it's not possible to get all the oil out with suction pump. (My own translation)

As I used the collection and delivery service I don’t get to see the mechanic or service advisor. I get given a little envelope with the invoice, health check and receipt in. The invoice states what was done (if they listed everything, so it’s under trust) and the price. Think I’ll ring a local garage see what their quote is for front brakes strip and clean. 

Emil, you are removing and replacing the sump plug and draining the last of the oil, 'The VW Way', the bulk of the oil is safely being extracted by the machine, 

'OIL @ OPERATING TEMPERATURE', like 90*oC, so a H&S issue when doing many cars a day, week, month, year.

that is the difference, the last of the oil is drained, just not several litres all out the sump plug,

the mechanic, or the Technician / Fitter should know that.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by Headinawayoffski

& so you should, but then you trust that when someone puts any part / part number on a worksheet that they actually used that part, 

and when they tick all the check list they did that as well.

Sadly some do not,  but then they do the free wash and vacuum and that might be all you can be sure of.

9 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

& so you should, but then you trust that when someone puts any part / part number on a worksheet that they actually used that part, 

and when they tick all the check list they did that as well.

Sadly some do not,  but then they do the free wash and vacuum and that might be all you can be sure of.

I told them not to wash the car, just to hoover it and on the invoice it said the car was washed and hoovered. I couldn’t tell if they had washed it as it was clean ‘n’ shiny when I handed over the keys. They did vacuum it though. 

• Like 1

Funny thing is the cars if washed are done after the Technician has serviced, 

but the technician is supposed to do a body check and report, and not every customer hands in a clean car that is easy to check the bodywork of for un-repaired chips or damage incorrectly repaired that has to go on the Body Condition report for the sake of the Paint / Corrosion Warranty.-

• 2 weeks later...

Just paid £212 for second year service on the wifes Citigo yesterday at Fish Bros Skoda, Swindon. :-(

They did say (and the invoice states) that the rear brakes had been stripped and cleaned in that price as well as oil change, pollen filter etc. Vacuumed and washed too

When i first booked the car in it seemed a bot of a steep price, but tbh the labour charges at a main dealer will be expensive i guess and overall i am quite happy. They are also replacing a cracked exhaust heat shield which they spotted, under warranty of course. :-)

2 minutes ago, roblatus said:

Just paid £212 for second year service on the wifes Citigo yesterday at Fish Bros Skoda, Swindon. :-(

They did say (and the invoice states) that the rear brakes had been stripped and cleaned in that price as well as oil change, pollen filter etc. Vacuumed and washed too

When i first booked the car in it seemed a bot of a steep price, but tbh the labour charges at a main dealer will be expensive i guess and overall i am quite happy. They are also replacing a cracked exhaust heat shield which they spotted, under warranty of course. :-)

Although they’ve charged more, it sounds as though they do a better job, in terms of checking everything even if they won’t gain as such. And for that I think I’d prefer to pay alittle more. 

• 10 months later...