Skoda Octavia L+K model steering noise [video]

Hi I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for on here.

My 04 Octavia has a whining noise when turning the wheel at low revs, the steering rack has been checked and the auxiliary built has been changed but the problem persists. I’m not sure if it’s the power steering pump that is creating the noise. 

I have took a video of the noise as I’m not sure how I would describe it if someone could help that would be great.

Video of noise

I've never heard that noise before; best suggestion would be to bleed the PAS by jacking the entire front end, and spinning the steering lock to lock at least 10 times engine off. Which is either free or a couple of quid in someone's coffee swindle.

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

@vrsTom - Not having the engine, and hence the hydraulic pump, running is not "dry steering". The hydraulic oil is still present.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be patronising or if you've genuinely never heard of "dry steering" being used to refer to turning the steering while stationary.

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I've never heard that noise before; best suggestion would be to bleed the PAS by jacking the entire front end, and spinning the steering lock to lock at least 10 times engine off. Which is either free or a couple of quid in someone's coffee swindle.

1 hour ago, vrsTom said:

I'm not sure if you're trying to be patronising or if you've genuinely never heard of "dry steering" being used to refer to turning the steering while stationary.

Read the emboldened words. Do you still think either of your comments are useful?

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Read the emboldened words. Do you still think either of your comments are useful?

I think you've misunderstood.

The dry steering I was referring to was in the OP's video. If I was responding to your advice I'd have quoted you.

1 hour ago, vrsTom said:

I think you've misunderstood.

The dry steering I was referring to was in the OP's video. If I was responding to your advice I'd have quoted you.

OK; I'd have quoted or cited the OP when writing post #3 though.

15 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

OK; I'd have quoted or cited the OP when writing post #3 though.

I'd have made sure I didn't have the wrong end of the stick before being patronising and rude to someone I don't know on an internet forum.

I thought it would be quite obvious that "dry steering" would refer to the OP's video, rather than your underestimation of my knowledge of hydraulic PAS. I don't think it was necessary to quote/cite the OP in this situation - especially so early in the thread.

Edited by vrsTom

If your on about the squealing it will be the one way pulley on the alternator. I had exactly the same noise on my 1.9 tdi. I ended up having to have a new alternator, pulley, belt and splash shield as it completely failed and snapped the belt going straight through the splash guard.

Hope that helps in some way?

On 29/09/2017 at 10:14, vrsTom said:

Sounds like the aux belt squeaking to me.

I'd recommend avoiding dry steering though...

Not entirely sure how I'd video the outside of the car while turning a corner at speed 

Thanks for all the suggestions will give a few a try this week and get back  

17 minutes ago, sethimonefire said:

Not entirely sure how I'd video the outside of the car while turning a corner at speed

I didn't suggest you should.

In the OP you said the issue was at low revs, and your video showed the issue at idle while dry steering. You didn't say whether the noise happened while moving or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 14:54, sethimonefire said:

Thanks for all the suggestions will give a few a try this week and get back  

Have you managed to rectify this issue now?

• 3 weeks later...