1.6 TDi starts fine but cuts out!!!

dmcc97

• 2 months later...

You haven't indicated the age or mileage of the car so probably this won't help. However....

My 2010 car with the 1.6 diesel has done 48,000 miles. It recently started running badly particularly when the engine was cold. I checked the ECU with an ODB2 dongle and found that the throttle pedal wasn't registering correctly. It has a variable resistance build into the hinge. This sends a position reading to the ECU which then changes the actual throttle opening. The ECU thought the throttle was about 90% open all the time and the car would barely run.

I bought a new throttle pedal assembly from the local Skoda dealer. It is easy to fit - three small nuts on studs plus a little multiconnector. The car is now in the process of re-adjusting itself to the new throttle. So it is a bit unhappy for the first 30 seconds/200 yards and then is OK again.

If you own or can borrow an ODB2 reader dongle it should show if the throttle is behaving plus allow you to check for fault codes. Alternatively, your local 'friendly' Skoda dealer might check the car for you and advise.