headlight quickie

Not the urgent of problems but its kind of frustrating and having just replaced both headlight units its on my mind again...

the beam adjuster switch on the dash never worked in the car. i had taken out the little motors on mine and fiddled with them and checked to se if the motors were jammed which they werent.  ended up just putting up with it not working as it passed NCT anyway

Now ive just replaced both the units and guy I got them off said his adjusters worked fine. Again theyre not working in mine...checked all the fuses on side panel and all good.

I always wondered could the aftermarket alarm that was put it have affected the wiring some way??

Also in my Da's 1.9 tdi if you leave lights on you get a bong to remind you to turn em off. Ive also never had this bonger noise??

As i said its not the most urgent or important issue to have but if anyone has had similar  and found a fix would appreciate a few pointers

thanks

Lights On Bonger is probably the microswitch in the driver's door module - That's usually the issue, if not the wiring betwixt. Pretty cheap and easy to sort out, fortunately.

Does your red light/puddle light illuminate when you open the door?

33 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Lights On Bonger is probably the microswitch in the driver's door module - That's usually the issue, if not the wiring betwixt. Pretty cheap and easy to sort out, fortunately.

Does your red light/puddle light illuminate when you open the door?

Nope,never has either. did replace the door lock few years back

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

@huwants2no - OK, this isn't a resolution to a non-functional interior aim adjuster, on mine if you use the wheel it never quite returns the aim as high as it was to start with.

tempermental little gits arent they. I wasnt gonna bother posting but it always annoys me when i drive someone elses car and i can play with the lights

6 minutes ago, huwants2no said:

Nope,never has either. did replace the door lock few years back

Just the lock cylinder, or the whole module?

For this Bonger issue, at least, my money is on either the microswitch or the wiring somewhere along the circuit.

Can't help with the headlights, I'm afraid. Mine are L&K auto-adjusters.

Have you run continuity checks on the adjuster dial and the wiring?

2 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Just the lock cylinder, or the whole module?

For this Bonger issue, at least, my money is on either the microswitch or the wiring somewhere along the circuit.

Can't help with the headlights, I'm afraid. Mine are L&K auto-adjusters.

Have you run continuity checks on the adjuster dial and the wiring?

The whole lock unit. No worries, havent really tried much with the wiring. just picked up another switch at a breakers to rule that out. actually the backlight on the lights on/off button itself is flickering on and off now aswel with a tap or two. that has only really been happening the last year i reckon. maybe same issue!?

No experience with auto electric stuff or any leccy stuff really im afraid

12 minutes ago, huwants2no said:

The whole lock unit. No worries, havent really tried much with the wiring. just picked up another switch at a breakers to rule that out. actually the backlight on the lights on/off button itself is flickering on and off now aswel with a tap or two. that has only really been happening the last year i reckon. maybe same issue!?

No experience with auto electric stuff or any leccy stuff really im afraid

^That part makes me think it's probably wiring or even a loose connection, behind the switches in the dash.