Boost pipe came off

HWolfy

I was driving along a country lane while pushing the car hard up to about 2.5k in second and there was a loud bang and a big cloud of black smoke. The pipe at the front left corner (when looking at the front of the car) has undone itself. Basically the rubber (i think) bottom pipe that normally sits inside the plastic top one is no longer inside it, I have clipped it back on with the jubilee clip but the car is underpowered and sometimes misfires slighty when going up hills. I nursed it home with a friend following and parked it up. Is this a simple fix or is it something I need to go to a proper garage with? Thanks in advance

If it's just the boost pipe(s) you should be ok to do it yourself. PD130 pipes are known for this. (pd100 is usually stronger) plenty of posts and threads about it but basically there is very thin aluminium lugs that wear out allowing the pipe to pop off on one or both sides. i'm not super familiar with all the joins but a jubilee clip wont help. On some of the joins they are metal to metal with a small rubber o ring creating the actual seal inside the sleave. You can just use two or more screws o bodge them together. not the most elegant but should work whilst still being removable. Some people use large heatshrink, i reckon that could work quite well.

You can test the pipework for leaks using a bike pump and makeshift end caps on the pipe that connect to the ASV and the pipe that connects to the turbo and using a pump with gauge to check it holds pressure fairly well. Probably doesn't need to be totally airtight but that is the ideal situation.

Reading back you're post it sounds more like the pd100 pipes? either way, if it's just pipes it should be an easy fix

I have taken the plastic section off and it appears that the lugs on the lower flexi pipe are knackered. so this will have to be replaced. I have had a look at images of other people's vRS's under the bonnet and quite a few have a full chrome pipe there as one piece rather than three separate pieces. Is this a better option? If so where can I find one of these for sale and how much am I looking at to buy it?