Accelerator sticking when applying brakes.

I was driving a Skoda Fabia rental the other day...I really don't know what "mk" it was  and was braking at the end of the first stage of a three point turn in a narrow street.

The engine kept revving with full pressure on brake and car gently bumped into pillar. Thankfully I was going very slow.

I can't for the life of me figure it out. Did my foot somehow engage that pedal while braking or could it be  mechanical?  I tried to reenact the event (without the post) but could not.

Any suggestions or ideas?

14 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Welcome.

?

Was it a rental car over 9 years old, making it a Mk1 Fabia?

What did the place you returned it to say was the issue with it?  What are the insurer saying about your accident?

Only 17,000 km. Rental co. Wrote it down to driver error. Haven't talked to insurer yet.

5 minutes ago, expostmanpat said:

Edge of shoe caught acc pedal whilst pushing down on brake would be my guess, done it once or twice myself leading to a wtf moment but always had the clutch in fortunately.

That's a possibility I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Dontknow,

?

When your foot was on the brake pedal and not the accelerator was your left foot on the clutch, 

or were you driving an automatic car?

It was a standard, and that's all I drive and though I have no photographic recollection of the clutch, it would be incomprehensible to think I did not have it depressed.

If you are braking and accelerating at the same time the brakes will overide the accelerator and it should cut the power completely.

Are you saying you cant remember whether it had a clutch pedal?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Dontknow,  

share the story, surely you know how old the car you were renting was, and what do you usually drive?

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Dontknow,  

share the story, surely you know how old the car you were renting was, and what do you usually drive?

No. It did have a clutch pedal. Instinctively I would have had it depressed.

At 17,000 km and looking new I would have to suggest a 2017.

I am on my 5th VW standard diesel.

"Standard Diesel"

What do you mean by that

The brakes in any modern car should be sufficient enough to stop the car against the power of the engine especially at slow manoeuvring speeds

I would suggest driver error more than anything

Edit: if it was a mk3 1.4 diesel I doubt the 200nm of torque would have been enough to keep it running against maximum brake force. My 1.9tdi will happily stall if you brake and forget to dip the clutch 

Edited by clarendon462

Mk3 Fabia are 1.4TDI 3 cylinders they come in different power outputs, so i suppose standard means a manual.

Edit, 

So a Petrol then, that can be a 1.0, or a 1.2TSI or a new 1.0TSI and they come in various power outputs, 

Sounds like Driver Error still. 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

1 minute ago, clarendon462 said:

"Standard Diesel"

What do you mean by that

The brakes in any modern car should be sufficient enough to stop the car against the power of the engine especially at slow manoeuvring speeds

Standard meaning stick shift.

Diesel, of course, the fuel.

I have never heard of standard diesel relating to manual transmission hence why i had to clarify.

Are you sure you didnt press the accelerator and brake thinking you were pressing the brake and clutch?

3 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

"Standard Diesel"

What do you mean by that

I can assure you if the floor was weak, the  brake pedal would have gone through. It was a freaky experience causing me to put extreme pressure on brakes. In hindsight, I might have been better off applying handbrake and shutting off ignition but I didn't think fast enough.

4 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

I have never heard of standard diesel relating to manual transmission hence why i had to clarify.

Are you sure you didnt press the accelerator and brake thinking you were pressing the brake and clutch?

No,definitely the primary pressure was on the brake.

6 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

No. I remember making sure I was on the brake. I just can't be sure that I hadn't secondary engagement with accelerator.