EGR problems

Afternoon all,

Really in need of some help please. 

I changed the turbo on my car the other month. No problem. 

Went to drive it and plooms of black smoke and a boost leak were evident with lack of power. Checked and double checked everything. All ok.

Unplugged the EGR valve and everything is fine. Except obviously a warning light. Aware of EGR delete etc but keen to get to the bottom of this. 

Ive replaced the EGR cooler today as I thought maybe this was leaking and replaced the gaskets.

its still suffering the same problem. I replaced the EGR about this time last year. 

Ahyone any ideas? Really struggling. Disconnecting the EGR makes the car run fine.  I find it too much of a coincidence for the EGR to be shot again just as I’ve replaced the turbo. 

Any help would be great please

56 Reg BLT by the way. 

Cheers. 

Andy

Vacuum line looks fine mate. 

Thinking of trying a new EGR. 

When idling, with vacuum to the valve, there’s a strong smell of exhaust from the vent hole. Unplug the vacuum and the smell goes and you can hear the turbo speed/load changes. 

As I understand it there should be a small amount of vacuum at idle, which there is, opening the valve somewhat. 

Maybe the stem could be damaged (scored) and as it is opening the damaged area of the stem is in contact with the seal, causing boost to leak through the vent??

No error codes. 

Cheers 

Edited by AndyMitton

Do you have VCDS if so you can use it to test the EGR for actuation at least. During that test you can also check the signals to and from the EGR and if the control of vacuum is as it should be.

Edited by LightRain

Unfortunately I haven’t got vcds. I know someone that does so could give that a try. Got the mot next week so really need to sort it

I find it strange that this happened just after fitting a new turbo. Really struggling with it 

I dunno how output tests on VCDS work on your engine, but if they are like with the ones I've done it on then you get as much time as you need to check for the sound or other clue of what you are testing. The signals and the vacuum situation can be checked as this is happening.

This engine has the solenoid block that controls the EGR and charge pressure from the same module doesn't it? If so, that's where you're going to be check, at least it is all in one easy to access place :)

You say car was fine till you changed the turbo? Now smokes if EGR working but doesn't smoke if the EGR is disabled? Why did you change the turbo? Did you fit like for like or an upgrade?