End of an era, no more Skoda

The majority of my skoda ownership, 8.5 years has been spent in the Octavia, just shy of 7 years with the remaining in Fabia VRS. Thankfully the VRS ownership didn't put me off, it was just a dud we bought. The Octavia has been brilliant and sad to see it go. 

Ownership has been pretty good, Fabia had issues with leaky doors, but that was an easy fix. It was in an accident that we only found out when things went wrong, but you live and learn. The actual car wasn't bad. 

The Octavia has needed a new turbo and the AC compressor needs changing. Not bad for a car on 124,000 miles and 10 years old. 

My wife bought a Grand C Max nearly 2 years ago, so my estate was purely for me and a bit overkill. Soo I have been looking on and off for quite some time, accelerated after a test drive a month or so ago reaffirming my decision to change. I had decided to wait another year, but when my wife said it would be a good idea to change before the Octavia was worthless, I jumped at the chance. 

I put my Octavia on facebook thinking it would take a while, but a good friend of mine was apparently looking for an estate and it was sold within minutes. They looked at it yesterday, test drove and we will be collecting next Sunday. 

Saturday I will be collecting this

media?id=fe0a366dcfad4f76be590070bc1e115

181bhp, tech pack, winter pack, convenience pack on 52k. Get a years warranty with it so pretty happy. No plans to do anything other than fit my metal plates, mobius and some VCDS bits. No plan to leave Briskoda as I still like reading about the cars and my Dad wants an L&K superb when he retires in a couple of years

• Like 1

Nice cars the Leons. I loved my mk2 fr the handling was excellent. Interiors aren't as nice as the Octavias but I believe the mk3 Leons are a big improvement. I'm down to one 13 yo left at home now so like yourself the Octavia is too big for what I need. I'll be looking for a Golf/Leon in the next year or two when the funds are right. Mk3 Octavia I'm not keen on and too big. Fabia too small. Rapid can't say I'm smitten on those either tbh. So to stay with vag it's a leon or golf. I have got a soft spot for the focus st though!!

My wife works at VW and spec for spec, sooo much more money. TD GT is the same as the FR

This will be my interior, but normal seats as the image shows alcantara. Also I will have heated seats not that I need them

SEAT-Leon-2013-MK3-third-generation-FR-2

I also quite like the ST, but they are far newer and well out of my 10k budget

Edited by zeffania
  • Like 1

They look nice inside now. A massive improvement on the mk2. Lovely colour too. How is the suspension on the new fr' s? Mine was on 18" wheels and it was a bit stiff!! A lot!! No actually it was a bit stiffer than that!

20 hours ago, meaty101 said:

They look nice inside now. A massive improvement on the mk2. Lovely colour too. How is the suspension on the new fr' s? Mine was on 18" wheels and it was a bit stiff!! A lot!! No actually it was a bit stiffer than that!

I thought the ride was fine, slightly stiffer than my 10 year old octavia, but nicer. The octavia can wallow a bit now, but understandable really. 

I really like the interior, on a par with the top end VWs. Was my choice of colour if I could find one with all the toys

Collected it on Saturday, nice 80 mile drive home with it and I am well chuffed. 

It is a 63 plate, Jan 2014 184fr mk3 Leon. 

No plans what so ever as it comes with everything I need:

• Tech pack - uprated sat nav stereo incl DAB and LED lights 
  • Convenience Pack - auto lights, wipers and auto dimming mirror
  • Seat Sound - 10 speakers plus sub
  • 18s

It seems these days manufacturers are trying to save money so most cars I looked at came with slime, thankfully the first owner ticked the spare wheel box. 

Only thing I need to do is hard wire the dash cam and put my plates and surrounds on, but that is it. I sold my STS kit with my other car so I won't be re-mapping to 235bhp. 

Anyway, a couple of pics. Will update with some more when I get out later

First shot when I got home. Got the seal of approval from the lad, fast asleep and dribbling on my seat belt :lol:

cmjwKNK.jpg

Tried, but on the phone it didn't pick up the LEDs very well. They do look really smart and are soo bright. Looking forward to using it on the back roads at night

8S5OJjv.jpg

Drivers side view, the red glow is from the lights in the door cards. Red in sport mode, white in any other mode. At present, I am quite like sport :twisted:

k0HjONJ.jpg?1

Dial view, engine off. Has the sweep feature when you start-up and all fully colour display with views for everything you can think of. The sat-nav display was really helpful when coming back from Luton where we collected the car

q0gXC3U.jpg

Couple more of the dash in better light

9PsN6Ue.jpg

aevAaDZ.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, but I would say that as a fellow mk3 Leon owner.

It looks like yours has the winter pack as well (headlamp washers and heated seats).

We changed from a MK2 Octavia as well. No problems to report with ours after 2 years of ownership.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bogwoppit said:

Looks good, but I would say that as a fellow mk3 Leon owner.

It looks like yours has the winter pack as well (headlamp washers and heated seats).

We changed from a MK2 Octavia as well. No problems to report with ours after 2 years of ownership.

hehe, glad you like yours. Yes, sorry you are right, it does have the winter pack. Tried it this morning and lasted all of a minute before I got too warm and switched it off :lol:

First drive in the night and I really like the interior, just a lovely place to be and those lights are such an upgrade from the Octavia, so impressed