Just ordered a new Fabia

I was going to buy a Dacia Sandero but I was put off by some of the silly problems people have been having with them.  My second choice was the Fabia as I really think it is a very smart looking car.  I was going to get the S model but then I wanted aircon and the 70MPI engine so it made more sense to go for the SE model.  I have ordered a white Fabia 75 SE which currently has port of exist status. I assume this means it is still on the boat or at the docks? Been given at ETA of around the end of the month.

I am really looking forward to it, but it is on a PCP and I am having to put down a £2000 deposit to reduce the payments (£1000 px for my car) so part of me thinks I am swapping a car I own out right for a lot of debt, but my existing Panda is too small for me and I have had it nearly 8 years so it is time to move on.

My intention is if I like the car and it proves reliable is to buy the car when the PCP is over but is the 1.0 engine well proven? What is the cambelt service interval? I really wanted a chain cam engine but I believe VAG had a lot of issues with the chains so went back to a belt.

The 1.0 3 cylinder engine is relatively new, the 75 is the MPI version which gets mixed reviews, however the tsi version gets positive reviews (but to get the tsi 95 is extra £730).   If you travel with lots of passengers or luggage, or it is particually hilly where you live, then you should pay the extra and get the more powerful 95 version.  The smaller engine should be fine for more local (and occasional faster) journeys.

You should be slightly wary of your second sentence, the reference to reducing the payments (I assume you mean monthly payments) sounds like you are stretching to afford it, so make sure you have a plan to fund the lumpsum for the remainder of the car, otherwise you will finish the PCP and a problem or no car.

Cambelts are usually every 4 or 5 years, 5 years is usually ok unless mileage is very high, never heard of anyone changing belt at 4 years and 8 years.  In my experience belts changed at 5 years never seem to get changed again as car is little value 9+ years old, and people accept the risk of failure (most don't fail)

Hi Mozzy, Welcome to the site. The 75ps version is quite ok as long as you are not wanting to cover big motorway distances very fast all the time! Having said that I borrowed a 75ps version to drive from north Essex to south Wales and it was fine. Nice cars and the engine is very willing and makes a nice noise when pressed! You can't go far wrong. If however you do have some spare change, the 1.2TSI 95ps is in a different class for power. It may still be possible to alter your order! Either way, whatever you get, post often. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. With regards to the payments I can easily afford them I just don't want to spend too much on a car my plan is to save up for the most of the balloon payment and get a bank loan if I need to bridge the rest.  If the car turns out to be a lemon I will hand it back and used my saved up deposit for a new car.

I bought my current Panda out of the PCP this way. I always like to buy the car out of a PCP because otherwise it will never feel like the car is mine.  The way I see it in 3.5 years time I am just buying a second hand car I know the history of :).

I sort of have regrets by not going for the TSI but I do a lot of stop start journeys in Manchester traffic so I didn't want the added worry about the turbo going wrong, also 90% of my driving is just 0-40mph so 75bhp should be more than enough.  I have gone from wanting to buy a £7300 Dacia Sandero an £11000 Fabia S to a near £14k Fabia SE so I had to draw the line some where.  The car is over the top in terms of kit for my needs but it will be really nice to actually have a none poverty spec car for once :D 

• Like 4

I drive around Manchester in my TSI 90 and I do like the extra umpf, particularly for merging onto motorways and the like. I average around 45 mpg, the newer 1.0 TSI should do slightly better but I wouldn't count on it. I do long journeys relatively often though, I could live with the 75PS engine around town just fine. The SE is definitely worth it over the S, not just for the A/C. The nicer interior, much better radio with things like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and the leather multi-function steering wheel all make the car feel a lot better than the base model for not much more outlay. 

Edit: It's worth pointing out that the non-turbo 1.0 is the engine out of the Up/Mii/Citigo, and they've been around since 2012 or so. I've not heard anything bad about the engines, but it might be worth looking on the Citigo section of this forum?

Edited by vc-10

I am paying £133 a month on the PCP, that is for 3.5 years with £2000 deposit down and 8000 miles a year (in reality I do less than 6k).  Thanks VC part of me thinks I should have got the turbo version but I had to draw the limit some where and I never use motorways etc.  These days the fast road I usually go on is Kingsway.  

If the Kingsway is the fastest road you regularly use, the 75PS will be plenty. I've driven the Polo with the 75PS engine, with 5 big guys in the car (rental on holiday, it was a bit of a squeeze!) and it coped just about with the Spanish motorways, and was happy cruising at 130 km/h. It reminded me a lot of my old 2002 1.2 Polo with 65PS- you have to work it hard, but it rewards that work quite nicely and always feels game.

I'm sure you'll love your Fabia!

i have a few more questions. I ordered the car just over a week ago and it was on port of exist status.  How much longer am I likely to wait?  Does this mean it has simply left the factory but not actually in the UK yet?

Also I understood that front assistant was standard on the SE models but it doesn't list on the Skoda spec card.  Does it have a speed limiter or was that an option?

Finally the extended warranty is just under £400, which extends it to five years I am not sure how long I will keep the car but I am hoping to buy it when the PCP runs out.   Is the warranty worth it or are there too many exclusions?

My 1.2TSI has Front Assist, Speed Limiter but mine is Feb 2017 car.  I think it's still standard but you can check by going to Skoda Uk's website. The factory warranty is about the best you can get...no exclusions that you wouldn't expect ie: damage due to racing, neglect etc and of course the usual clutch and brake lining restrictions which are only covered for a very limited time due to being wear and tear items. It's a cheap warranty covering just about everything else on the car. Delivery on the car should be within the spec laid down by your dealer and it normally goes ok. Only rarely does a hiccup occur. I can feel the excitement building now! lol...good stuff!