Question about cambelt

Xeon5

Hi all,

My Polo GTI is now 6 years old with just over 35k on the clock and with some cars 6 years is about the time you would consider changing the cambelt.

After doing some searching on both the VW website, briskoda, google, etc, I am a bit confused as to whether or not the car has a cambelt or chain?

If I put my reg into the VW service booking page it offers me a price for a cambelt change:

image.png.a1c35ed8f944bd85b0df079662fd40b5.png

But most other places say it has a timing change which doesn't need replacing. Can someone shed some light on this as you would think VW would be correct?

33 minutes ago, Xeon5 said:

Hi all,

My Polo GTI is now 6 years old with just over 35k on the clock and with some cars 6 years is about the time you would consider changing the cambelt.

After doing some searching on both the VW website, briskoda, google, etc, I am a bit confused as to whether or not the car has a cambelt or chain?

If I put my reg into the VW service booking page it offers me a price for a cambelt change:

image.png.a1c35ed8f944bd85b0df079662fd40b5.png

But most other places say it has a timing change which doesn't need replacing. Can someone shed some light on this as you would think VW would be correct?

Whats your engine? someone will be able to help once they know what exact engine you have in your car

Timing Chain on your Twincharger.

Watch out for your Water Pump (Supercharger magnetic clutch) needing replaced at 6 years though, and the 2 belts.

Budget around £400-£500 for that at a Main Dealership. Watch for any slight loss of coolant.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Rang VW. They confirmed it is a timing chain.

I asked why their website gives you the option to buy a replacement cambelt and they said the booking page apparently "doesn't know" if a car has a belt or chain. To me that is utter nonsense but nevermind :D