service interval

hi,  does anyone know how to reset the oil service interval, from 12 months to 2 years, according to skoda the car is on QL6 variable service which suits me as I don't do more than 5,000 a year. But whoever serviced it last set it for 12 months.  So my question is how to set the service for 8 months time which will be 2 years. Thanks.

If it's been set to fixed servicing intervals, as opposed to variable, the dealer can change that for you.

But I don't think they'll allow a straightforward change, if it's not done at the same time as the service. Given that the car isn't currently on the variable schedule, and therefore isn't monitoring oil quality or utilising the extra sensors that are used with vehicle capable of running a variable schedule.

Alternatively it can be done with VCDS diagnostics.

As far as I know the change back to variable servicing will reset the “counter” to zero, in other words it will say the next service will be due in 2 years / ~20000 miles from now. Also do you know what oil was used at the last service? The main requirement to be on variable servicing is to use longlife oil. If ordinary oil was used, you shouldn't switch to variable.

If it is your own car and you intend to keep it, I’d be inclined to give it an oil change every year anyway. It’s not a great cost.

If you only do 5k miles a year, that is classed as severe use. Oil must be changed at least every 12 months as it degrades very quickly on low miles over the year. All Fabia's normally come with 12month service schedule now. Only change it if you do high mileage pa.

^^^ "All Fabia's normally come with 12 month service schedule now"

That is because Skoda Dealerships are resetting them without asking the customer what they want or need as the service interval on their vehicle.

ie they are not asking if the customer will do a high annual mileage.

(Lease cars might be obvious as to the expected annual mileage by the scheme / miles that vehicle will be leased under.

All Mk3 Fabia come from the factory with a Variable / Flexible Service Interval, 

and at the Dealership / PDI have the Transit Miles reset and probably the Service Interval set to 'Fixed'. 

I've been finding the fixed / variable service schedule very difficult to get right with a dealer; I do high mileage and lots of steady motorway driving, variable should be the schedule for me however even when explicitely specified I've found all manner of settings in the display. e.g. inspection interval set 20k miles / 365 days.  The inspection will be whichever comes sooner, how can it possbily give up to 2 years variable when the maximum is set at 365 days?

Is there something definitive I should instruct the dealer to set so I know I am on the correct variable interval even if they don't know?

On 05/12/2017 at 11:57, louigicornetto said:

I've been finding the fixed / variable service schedule very difficult to get right with a dealer; I do high mileage and lots of steady motorway driving, variable should be the schedule for me however even when explicitely specified I've found all manner of settings in the display. e.g. inspection interval set 20k miles / 365 days.  The inspection will be whichever comes sooner, how can it possbily give up to 2 years variable when the maximum is set at 365 days?

Is there something definitive I should instruct the dealer to set so I know I am on the correct variable interval even if they don't know?

The dealer has to reset your service interval to variable. Have they done that?  It's normally done at your next service.

Edited by Estate Man

On 05/12/2017 at 11:57, louigicornetto said:

I’m not sure which car you have but on my Superb III there are two types of service reminder: oil change and inspection. The inspection one is always on a fixed interval as far as I know 30k miles (not sure how many years but I think 3).

The oil change one is the only one that can be set to variable, this is done on VCDS or by the dealer, setting the oil quality to good or poor (in VCDS the logic for this is reversed). I don’t think you can change to variable 1/2 way through as it resets the counters as if you had just changed the oil.

But if it is the inspection service you are talking about, I think one can set whatever one likes using VCDS or the Skoda tool. Perhaps you need to clarify what the fixed inspection interval is for your locale - I think it can vary with country.