Fob Key

Hello,

I recently acquired a 2010, 1.6 S, tdi Estate Octavia. A very basic model, I believe.

It came with three keys; one seems like original spare with two others that look like aftermarket keys (Skoda written on the plastic part just below long keyring hole and FACEA/ HAA written on the blade). All three keys unlock the door and start the car as they should. The seller told me that the car is a basic model and never had any FOB key, a bit hard to believe! The keys only unlock either of the front doors at a time and I have to unlock the other doors via unlock switch inside the car.

My questions are:

1. How can I determine if the car originally came with a FOB key?

2. How can I enable the option to unlock all doors without using the switch? 

3. Is it possible to programme a second-hand FOB key purchased from eBay that is likely to be pre-programmed for another car?

4. Are there different versions of FOB keys? if yes, how do I know which one (chip type) should I buy from eBay or Aliexpress?

5. I do not have the four-digit security code for the car. Is it possible to find it via VIN?

Engine management light is on but it does drive normally. The only exception is that it does not go above 2500rpm when stationary but once I start driving, it runs normally with no restriction on rpm. 

Thank you in advance for your replies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just recently bought the hatchback version of your car, same year and everything. I was given two standard keys with no remote for the central locking. It would appear this model doesn't come with remote central locking as standard. For me, one turn in the lock opens the driver's door, a second opens the rest. I installed a cheap £10 remote kit from eBay and, after some trial and error, have it working perfectly. I know it's not ideal, but I think it's the only solution that doesn't involve replacing the CCM and getting new fobs programmed. Only thing that could make it better for me would be if I could combine the key with the fob that came with the eBay kit.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:44, Searcher said:

Hello,

I recently acquired a 2010, 1.6 S, tdi Estate Octavia. A very basic model, I believe.

It came with three keys; one seems like original spare with two others that look like aftermarket keys (Skoda written on the plastic part just below long keyring hole and FACEA/ HAA written on the blade). All three keys unlock the door and start the car as they should. The seller told me that the car is a basic model and never had any FOB key, a bit hard to believe! The keys only unlock either of the front doors at a time and I have to unlock the other doors via unlock switch inside the car.

My questions are:

1. How can I determine if the car originally came with a FOB key?

2. How can I enable the option to unlock all doors without using the switch? 

3. Is it possible to programme a second-hand FOB key purchased from eBay that is likely to be pre-programmed for another car?

4. Are there different versions of FOB keys? if yes, how do I know which one (chip type) should I buy from eBay or Aliexpress?

5. I do not have the four-digit security code for the car. Is it possible to find it via VIN?

Engine management light is on but it does drive normally. The only exception is that it does not go above 2500rpm when stationary but once I start driving, it runs normally with no restriction on rpm. 

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regarding the rpm's, this is normal, most if not  all vag diesel engines from about late 2007/2008 onwards won't rev above 2500rpm when stationery, it's partly how VAG worked it's emissions cheat. I would have the EML checked and any fault codes read though, as it may cause problems as more miles are put on, better to have what ever fault repaired sooner rather then later.

3 hours ago, Searcher said:

Hello,

Which aftermarket remote kit you went for and how easy was the installation? How long is the range?

Regards,

The one I went for is this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331754059120 

The installation took me about 6 hours but only because I couldn't find exact guides for removing the door panel and which wires I needed to connect to. If you do go for this one I can give you a step by step walkthrough. I'd never done anything like this before and didn't find it difficult once I figured it out. You'll also need a 150ohms resistor (10p at Maplin). Soldering iron and wire strippers will also make life much easier. As for the range, I haven't tested further than about 20 metres away so I don't know the max

Edited by kylemorrow1990

5 hours ago, kylemorrow1990 said:

The one I went for is this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331754059120 

The installation took me about 6 hours but only because I couldn't find exact guides for removing the door panel and which wires I needed to connect to. If you do go for this one I can give you a step by step walkthrough. I'd never done anything like this before and didn't find it difficult once I figured it out. You'll also need a 150ohms resistor (10p at Maplin). Soldering iron and wire strippers will also make life much easier. As for the range, I haven't tested further than about 20 metres away so I don't know the max

Thank you for your reply. The fact that this unit is of generic nature, a step-by-step walkthrough shall be of great help for fellow Briskodians . 20m+ fine for me. and I do have a soldering iron and a wire stripper.

Regards,