New to Fabia MK3 1.4 TDI - would like to compare experiences with other owners

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum, as I just purchased 2015 Fabia Estate SE L 1.4 TDI (105PS/77kW CUTA) manual. Great car, so far, and very functional. I really enjoy it.

As usual, when you start driving cars, you soon discover different noises or oddities coming up here and there, to which you were somehow 'immune' when test driving the car during the purchase. They may not necessarily mean that there is an issue as different models do have different quirks which may just require getting used to. That Is why I would like to ask other owners of similar models if they recognise any of below.

For example, I have noticed that engine gets warm quicker then other diesels I had owed. It seems that 5-10 mins is enough for the needle to start climbing and I usually see 90 deg in about 20 mins or so. Fan often kicks in at this stage and temperature seem to be stable around 90 mark with no overheating. I must say that this is in cold weather and I am not pushing the car to its limits probably keeping revs in first one/third of the rev counter most of the time. I have heard about coolant pump issues and recall actions to replace these. From car's service record, it looks like coolant has been changed earlier this year, but there is no indication of pump being replaced.

Should I be worried? What is your regular temp observed for Fabia 1.4 TDI?

Another thing I picked on is a slight whining noise that changes pitch with speed when I switch to 3rd gear. It is still fairly quiet but reminds me of input shaft bearing issue on my old Suzuki. This is only audible in 3rd gear and no others for now. Car has done 19k miles and is still under warranty. It has been regularly serviced, from what I have seen and I will be checking this with the dealer soon. 

Anyone observing similar on their Fabia's TDI?

Two next ones will be general observations. For instance I could not find Fabia SE L with rear electric windows or leather/part-leather seats when looking for mine. I looked into various variants with different mod cons and electronic assistants (even panoramic roof!) fitted, but somehow no electric windows and good old cranks on the read doors were everywhere in '15-16 models I have seen... I know you can order these when building your new Fabia via Skoda Website, but above does not seem to be popular option even on higher models. I do not think I have even seen leather seats even on Monte's.

What is your experience?

Last thing I noticed when test-driving two different engine variants of the same model: SE with 1.4 90PS engine and SE L with 1.4 105PS is that 1 year younger 90PS SE I drove was actually significantly louder. I am suspecting that this may be down to the sound proofing on SEL model. Has anyone observed the same?

I look forward to hear your opinions and maybe you came up with other quirks which you may found odd when you first started driving your Fabia's. 

It would be interesting to hear from you. 

All the best

Maciek 

Welcome.

20 minutes is a long time to get to an indicated 90*oC for the coolant. 

so is that driving 20 minutes and going something like 15-20 miles (32 km) 

What is the outside temperature at when it takes this long for the coolant to get to the normal operating temperature?

Thanks for your reply, AwaoffSki.

We are talking single figures, around or below 5 deg C outdoors.

I usually leave car idling for a minute or 3 before setting off for journeys. I observe temperature climbing from pretty much 5 mins onwards and within 15-20 mins (tops) indicator needle is vertical at 90 deg C. 

That does not seem to be related to driving or revving. I once left car idling for 15-20 mins whilst shifting things in the garage and I heard radiator fan starting after that time. I have driven few diesels before and they took good 15 mins to even start warming up.

It may not be a problem, just different to what I had before. From what you are saying I take this may be normal on Fabia 1.4TDI. 

Best,

Maciek

Hello Abaxas. That is my first time with such engine and I accept that it rattles bit more in low revs. Two of the Fabias I tested, however, had same 1.4TDI 3-pot engine in them (different power variants:  90/105). The more powerful SE L felt significantly quieter inside. The engine bay seems a bit more wrapped up in that version. It even has under engine tray. I do not see this as fault, just passing my observations. 

I've only got the 75 hp version in my little S estate :)

I find the noise levels worst at about 1600-1800 but smoother and quieter below and above that. IE 60 on the motorway or more noisy than 70.

Also there is lots of noise on the overrun.

Still loving the car. I live in the middle on nowhere at almost 1400ft :P The little diesel engine still does over 60mpg :) When my old a3 2.0tdi would only go 45 :(

I have heard the 75 version runs on vapours! :) and I think they (75 version estate at least) are in one of the lowest insurance groups as well. If only they were better equipped, I would consider one. AC and cruise control was mandatory when choosing model. 

I only had my car for 2 weeks, but I see it averaging around 50mpg which is good. Motorway cursing seem to give more. Noise level observations seem to correspond with yours, too. When I first drove it it felt like engine has a misfire! :) 

Sadly no cruise but I do have AC. I'm quite used to 3 pots as we used to have a 1.2 polo (55hp of pure sewing machine). If anything they have 'charm' and suit the personality of the fabia perfectly.

We also shouldn't forget that the fabia is a small (well small by modern standards) car so won't be as refined as larger ones.

I agree. Car fits the bill perfectly. I could not believe how functional it is. I still discover some small storage compartments or 12 plugs here and there. Also all that is packed into a class-mini chassis, although spacious inside and having 530L of boot space and still fitting into a single garage alongside a motorbike and a shelving uint full of stuff...

If there would be option for me (within used-approved offer) to get leather seats or rear electric windows, I'd probably go for these to complement the rest. Buying new was not an option, unfortunately. No complaints. Great car regardless. 

Anyone willing to share what is your regular temp observed for Fabia 1.4 TDI and how quickly engine warms up to it?

Does hot/cold weather affect this? 

Any whining noises in particular gears observed anywhere (as per my initial post)? 

Best regards, 

Maciek

It's actually not advised to sit idling the car for a few minutes before pulling off- it's a waste of fuel and means the engine is spending more time running cold.

The newer VAG engines have a dual coolant loop system, so much of it is cut out when the engine is cold. This means that coolant circulates around certain parts of the engine and exhaust system only at first, which allows it to heat up much quicker, before allowing in the rest. Bit like the way the thermostat in older cars would shut off the radiator, but more advanced and shutting off more. The idea behind this is to improve real world emissions and fuel economy, as obviously the engine works best when running at operating temperature. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, vc-10 said:

It's actually not advised to sit idling the car for a few minutes before pulling off- it's a waste of fuel and means the engine is spending more time running cold.

The newer VAG engines have a dual coolant loop system, so much of it is cut out when the engine is cold. This means that coolant circulates around certain parts of the engine and exhaust system only at first, which allows it to heat up much quicker, before allowing in the rest. Bit like the way the thermostat in older cars would shut off the radiator, but more advanced and shutting off more. The idea behind this is to improve real world emissions and fuel economy, as obviously the engine works best when running at operating temperature. 

Thanks vc-10. That all makes sense. Best /Maciek