Head gasket replacment cost

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had a head gasket replaced on a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI CR 170?

My Car is currently at my local Skoda dealership to investigate a coolant loss issue,

They have confirmed that it is not an external leak, so being internal it is either EGR cooler or Head gasket which they are wanting to investigate further.

The EGR/EGR coooler was replaced by them under warranty last January for a similar issue so unless it has failed again or was incorrectly fitted I'm expecting a large bill for the head gasket.

I'm kind of stuck in that they need to investigate the EGR at least in case this is the issue and can be covered by the 2 years warranty for the work they carried out.

If any one has had a head gasket replaced either by a Skoda dealer or an independent could you please advise on the cost so I can prepare myself?

Had head gasket done on my Octavia vrs 2.0 tdi ppd engine last mth cost £600 with new bolts used baskets etc and head sent away for pressure and crack testing that was an independent garage too 

Thanks @bradh thats sort of the ball park I was expecting from an independent somewhere between £500 - 700.

At the moment Skoda are saying the issue is pointing towards the EGR cooler again and are currently replacing it under the 2 years warranty given as they replaced the part last January.

I am sceptical that this is the issue however, they have mentioned that there could be head damage but all testing is pointing towards EGR so they are plowing ahead with that.

As it is costing me nothing I am happy for them to carry on.

• 1 year later...

@Dave_N87 Hi, yeah the heater was working fine, the issue turned out to be the egr cooler again, the only reason  I noticed the coolant loss was every couple of days the low coolant light came on.

I never let the coolant get any lower so noticed no other issues.

My car is the MK2 FL with the 170bhp CR engine so may have slightly different symptoms.