Rear bumper replacement - instructions ?

slump

Some git reversed into my roomie and drove off. The rear bumper is badly cracked; as far as I can tell nothing metal is bent or busted. The rear door is ok and I pulled out the spare wheel to check the bay it sits in hasn't changed shape.

I had look on youtube for howto videos on replacing the rear bumper, but I couldn't find one. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with;

i.) Are there any instructions - preferable as video - on how to change the bumper on a roomster ?

ii.) Is it moderately easy DIY ( I've replaced the door lock and door card on a fiesta before, that's about the level / limit of my mechanic abilities )

iii.) Is there anything inside the bumper ( reinforcement, whatever ) that I should be checking for damage ?

Removal and refitting the bumper skin is a straightforward job and achievable by one person (done a couple of towbar installs on my Roomsters over the years)

Bear with me as I'm offshore and can't refer to the car so I'm working from memory.

Start in the rear wheel arches.  Three torx screws each side to remove where the bumper curves into the wheel arch (same screws secure your mudflaps if you have them)

Open tailgate - another torx screw (larger size - maybe t20??)  each side of tailgate opening. Pull the rubber sealing strip away to give access to these screws.

Underneath bumper (pretty invisible) are four (I think) plastic rivets. Push out the centre pin and withdraw rivet. These can be re-used again when you replace bumper so try not to lose the pins.

Once all that lot is undone then grab the bumper at either corner and pull outwards gently to disengage the locating tags.  Then loosen the other corner and bumper skin will now lift away quite easily. If you have reversing sensors you will need to unplug them of course.

Once that is out of the way there is a steel beam mounted across the rear of the car - this is the real strength of your bumper. Check that for damage. If it is damaged at all they are simply bolted onto the chassis. You often see them on ebay for about £20 from folk that have put towbars on.

In true Haynes style refitting is a reversal of the removal.

Hope it goes ok for you.

Clem

• Like 3