Octavia S Trip Computer

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so apologies if I'm talking nonsense or being too vague.

I recently purchased a 2010 Octavia S 1.6 TDI. There are no buttons on the wiper stalk to control the display on the trip computer and the black stick protruding from the dash only allows me to either set the time, reset the trip or see when the next service is due. I would like to be able to see my MPG, range etc.

If I were to replace the wiper stalk with the version that has the rocker buttons on the end and underside; would I then also have to reprogram/replace the trip computer?

4 minutes ago, Eddie-NL said:

Fitting the wiper stalk with trip computer controls and some vcds coding will give you a trip computer

Brilliant, thanks for that. Now just to find somebody nearby with a vcds cable. Definitely won't be getting one myself this side of Christmas lol, unless there's an alternative cheaper option?

Just now, Eddie-NL said:

i would also suggest that you check what version of stalk you have fitted.

There are three different versions on the Octavia facelift

Yea I'd noticed when I went to order it lol. I've ordered a cheap cable to work with vcds lite so I can identify the part number without taking the steering wheel off