TSI problems in TSFI?

Have a mk1 vrs, looking at maybe getting a mk11 2.0 Petrol, looking at a 2006. 

Would this have the TSFI engine? Read the thread on the TSI failures above and should I be scared off? :)

Also a list of 5 buyers questions to ask seller for anything model specific I should look for? 

thanks. 

I've got a 2007 Mk2 vRS and don't regret buying it at all.  I too had a Mk1 and in some ways prefer it to the MK2 but I think that's more down to nostalgia rather than anything else.  Having said that, I'd recommend the change if you need to as our MK2 estate has been brilliant since day one.  I had the cambelt & water pump done straight away along with new plugs & filters all round.  I also changed the coil packs not long after and so far it's been a reliable workhorse.  In the 20k miles we've done it's averaged over 35mpg.

I went for the TFSI because of all the stories I've heard about the later engines.  Maybe I've been lucky so far but if you can find a car that's been looked after you should be okay.

As for five questions, they vary depending on who you talk to.  Service history, consumables replaced and a history check are a good idea to look into but other people will have suggestions.

One thing I will add is only change if you have a reason to,  If your Mk1 is still doing what you need it to then why change?  If you are buying a 11/12 year old car it will have things that'll need doing to it.  At least with a car you already own you know most of its foibles and can budget for them and work around whatever needs doing.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, skinnyman said:

One thing I will add is only change if you have a reason to,  If your Mk1 is still doing what you need it to then why change?  If you are buying a 11/12 year old car it will have things that'll need doing to it.  At least with a car you already own you know most of its foibles and can budget for them and work around whatever needs doing.

That’s my fear! 

My mk1 is a super car, 16 years old, 193k miles and nothing wrong with it, walked through its last NCT (mot) with 0 problems. 

And like you said I’d probably need buy a car and put almost €1000 into it straight away for piece of mind ☺️

7 hours ago, N1all said:

Would this have the TSFI engine? Read the thread on the TSI failures above and should I be scared off? :)

The Mk2 cars up until the facelift in 2009 had the TFSI - cam belt driven so just make sure the belt has been changed or factor into your budget accordingly - Cam follower issues with this engine too, worth a google but a cheap easy change.

The facelift VRS had the TSI engine and there were indeed awful issues across the whole VW/Audi group with it (you'll find many people on this forum suffered wrecked engines unfortunately) - there are revised parts available however which are supposed to address it, so again you'd need to factor this into your budget if it had not been done. I'd be very careful buying an early FL VRS without proof of the revised parts being fitted.

• Thanks 1

An 06 plate will be pre face lift and definate it'll be a tfsi engine ( Cam belt). I made the jump from a mk1 vrs  to a mk2 vrs. Looks wise I thought the mk1 was lovely looking car and the mk2 comes nowhere close imo. I owned my mk1 for nearly 8 years I loved it that much. I can't say the mk2 has got to me in quite the same way. I can't really say why either tbh!! The mk2 doesn't seem to involve you as much if that makes sense. The mk2 is a nicer car to live with day to day. It's a lot more spacious the interior is a big leap forward and long journeys are a lovely experience. I also debated for a long long time about changing the mk1 as I'd changed all springs/shocks discs/pads black carpet fitted Cam belt done it wanted for nothing. But I guess it was just the age of it in the end. 51 plate it was nearly 15 y o when I sold it with 120k miles on the clock. I did regret selling it for 6 months after I sold it too!! Hard car to replace I can tell you. I seen it 2 years after I'd sold it. Spoke with the guy who bought it off me. He said apart from a camshaft sensor fail the car was running as sweet as the day he bought it. I wasn't too sure about the wheels and coilies he'd fitted mind. It felt like seeing an ex partner walking down the street with her new fella!! Very strange feeling!!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice :cool:

Think it’s really helped me make my mind up, something about the MK1 I like, I think a bigger and more luxurious car might take some of what I like away. 

The earlier mk2 vrs seems to fade into a lot of other traffic, especially silver, but mk1 does stand out a little more.

Dare I even say I prefer it to my very rare 2000 civic type R X that I put a 1.8 into.