Bluetooth Music Streaming Issues with Columbus System

I collected our new Superb at the weekend and have been getting used to the Columbus system and everything that it can do!  I think it's fantastic, however I am having an issue with my mobile phone playing music through Bluetooth.  I can connect the phone to the car and use it hands free for calls, but as soon as I try and stream music from my phone to the car, the details (track name, album picture etc) all appear on the stereo and it starts playing for a few seconds and then it goes silent.  The song appears to still be streaming (the song progress bar continues to move and song length carry on counting up) but there is no actual sound coming out.  I have tried lots of things to sort it but to no avail.  I have searched online and it appears that its an issue with my phone as other people with the same make and model as me have the same issues with different car makes, but I cant find a fix for it.

I have a Oneplus 5 smartphone running Android 8.0 and I know it is a bit of a long shot, but has anyone had the same issue as this and if so, did you manage to sort it?  Or does anyone have the same make and model of phone as me but it works ok?

Would suspect a phone incompatibility here, barring Mercedes I think the Bluetooth A2DP implementation on the Columbus is about the best I've used. It plays nicely with all iPhones I've tried it with (6, 7 and X)

If your car is new then I'd guess it has the latest Columbus software, but you can check with the VIN at updateportal.skoda-auto.eu

One of the reasons I left Androidland was because of flaky firmware/software support but if you think there is any meaningful way of reporting a bug and getting a resolution then good luck with that ;)

Yes, unfortunately I think you are correct, I think it is a phone issue but was hoping someone would have suffered the same problem and managed a workaround or fix for it.  Ive just checked the update website as you suggested and I am using the most current version. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2018 at 12:20, AndyMacD said:

I collected our new Superb at the weekend and have been getting used to the Columbus system and everything that it can do!  I think it's fantastic, however I am having an issue with my mobile phone playing music through Bluetooth.  I can connect the phone to the car and use it hands free for calls, but as soon as I try and stream music from my phone to the car, the details (track name, album picture etc) all appear on the stereo and it starts playing for a few seconds and then it goes silent.  The song appears to still be streaming (the song progress bar continues to move and song length carry on counting up) but there is no actual sound coming out.  I have tried lots of things to sort it but to no avail.  I have searched online and it appears that its an issue with my phone as other people with the same make and model as me have the same issues with different car makes, but I cant find a fix for it.

I have a Oneplus 5 smartphone running Android 8.0 and I know it is a bit of a long shot, but has anyone had the same issue as this and if so, did you manage to sort it?  Or does anyone have the same make and model of phone as me but it works ok?

I took delivery of my 2018 Superb on Monday 22 January. I found your post as I too have the OnePlus 5 and I am having the exact same problem, it's so frustrating as I've had to use an auxiliary cable in my old car and was so looking forward to Bluetooth streaming music etc. I've changed the Bluetooth settings to each of the three available options on the phone but still no joy. As another poster says it is possible to connect a cable (I've just ordered a spare USB-C cable for the purpose) and use Android Auto but hopefully there'll be a fix soon.

Yes it works fine through Android auto, it just won't work through Bluetooth. I reported it to Oneplus and they got back in touch asking for me to run some tests and send them the logs, however the logs that my phone produces does not match theirs. Every day I try and run the tests but the required logs don't produce even when I follow their steps perfectly. 

16 minutes ago, AndyMacD said:

Yes it works fine through Android auto, it just won't work through Bluetooth. I reported it to Oneplus and they got back in touch asking for me to run some tests and send them the logs, however the logs that my phone produces does not match theirs. Every day I try and run the tests but the required logs don't produce even when I follow their steps perfectly. 

Do you have OnePlus' instructions so that I can give it a try?

I found the following on the OnePlus forum, so on my OnePlus 5 I went in to Wi-Fi preferences and turned off Scanning always available, then on the same screen I went in to Advanced and turned off Network notification, I then turned off Wi-Fi.

I then connected via Bluetooth to the Superb and tried to stream audio, after a few stutters I managed to maintain audio for a good few minutes when usually it has been only seconds, it continued playing until I disconnected. I'm out in the car early tomorrow morning so will test it out over a period of an hour and see how it goes. I'll report back here with the results.

You may also want to give it a go.

If this works, and pending a permanent solution, I'd prefer this to keeping a cable attached.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/bluetooth-stutter-codec-selection-problem.638490/

matwolf08Oct 25, 2017 :

I'm experiencing the same problem. As far as I noticed, I can completely remove the issue by setting the wifi band to 5GHz only.
You can also disable the wifi completely, but you have to disable the "Scan always available" option that allows the use of the wifi (for localization system or other apps) even if you disable it.

Since I use the 2.4GHz band (and I cannot afford to leave it disabled), I switched off the "Scan always available" option and I configured an automation app to turn off the wifi completely when I my op5 connects to my car's bluetooth and to turn it back on when it disconnects.

Works like a charm. Three days without any stutter! 

While waiting for OP to resolve this issue for good, it could be a good workaround ^^'

Well I gave it a go, it was hit and miss, more miss than hit although I did manage to stream audio for 40 minutes at one point then it lost it again. I've opted to use the cable for now and live in hope it will be resolved soon.