Superb 2010 vs later with more miles

Dmh76

Hi all,

Just about to buy a Skoda superb.

Got a question.

It's a 2010 60 reg estate, 2.0, 140,manual, great condition, fsh etc, 59,000 mls, £8,800.

Should I try for a 2012 to 2014 instead with higher mileage (80,000 plus) for slightly more money ? (Another £1k or so)?

Cheers all.

Daniel

Also will ask about can belt change as it should have been done since its an 2010(60r).

Going for manual after looking at pros and cons on forums.

Would someone also know what MK it would be ?

Background info is I am going to be doing around 25,000 motorway miles with this and around 3,000 "family miles" / (town/camping etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 140 a CR or PD engine?  More likely it is a PD if its 2010 so bear in mind this will be much less refined than a common rail unit.  Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on high mileage if the car is well looked after.  You're looking at a Mark II anyway (2008-2015).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Dmh76 and welcome. Might be too late to help you but FYI I p/x'd my 2013 Superb II manual 140CR with 61k on it and FSSH in January (2 owner car). The dealer put it out there at £8.5k with a year's warranty on it. Don't know if that is representative of the market - it sold pretty quickly I think - disappeared off Autotrader within a couple of weeks.

The mkII Superbs seem to cope with mileage pretty well, but be aware the cam belt and water pump* change is recommended at 5 years, so you should be factoring this in on anything you are buying that is 2013 or older unless it's already been done. And given the mileage you will be doing (not sure if this is over a year or longer) it might be worth having a look at any MPG differential between the CR and PD engines. I got average 60 from mine (maxidot so perhaps not completely accurate, but gives you an idea). Lots of good advice on the Superb mkII boards.

Hope you find / found what you are after.

* the accepted wisdom is to do both at the same time as it costs less in labour than doing them separately.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply.

I got a 2011 elegance now with 59k on the clock, fsh (main dealer).

Great great car. Paid £8.9k. The cars seem to be more expensive in south east and did not want to travel 100 plus miles just to look at a car.

So far no issues. Well the one I encountered was the air intake being slightly loose, rattles between 1200 to 1500 rpm. Taking it back to dealership to put permanent fix in but I have squeezed a rolled up tea towel !! In there and no more noise (it was driving me mad).

I just chipped one of the front continental tyres , was expensive to fix as ended up needing the other front also replacing (£200)..

Yes I do 30k miles per year ..It should do that fine for 3 years before I swap again. I will do 3 full services per year.

MANY THANKS again to previous poster also.

Oh and can belt plus w pump was done by dealer for free as he could not get info from dealership when it had been done so he did it for safety as I had pointed it out.

Daniel

Edited by Dmh76
More to add
  • Like 1

That's a lot of car for that money, especially with a dealer supplied (and guaranteed I guess) belt and pump change. Nicely doneB)

I'm now on my third Superb - previous two were both mkII's. Never a minute's trouble from either - loved them both. Enjoy! Regular servicing is the key to long life - I do c25k-30k miles pa as well but on variable service for the new one as I can't face three dealer trips a year.