HID Light Issues

Hi, apologies if there is already something on this.

I have an '02 estate with aftermarket HID Lights fitted by the previous owner. They have been working fine since I got it nearly a year ago however recently the dipped beam on both sides has stopped working. The Main-beam dash-light flickers and you can hear the starters / ballasts trying to switch the lights on; occasionally they will start but soon go off. I recently removed the fuses for each light in turn and with the RH dipped beam fuse removed the lefthand dipped light works fine, with the LH fuse removed neither work. 

I should mention that the Main-beam always works, there doesn't seem to be an issue with them, just the dipped beam.

Not sure if this is a wiring issue or a ballast / starter thing, any help would be appreciated!

Throw them in the bin and fit LED H4's as new MOT laws come in this year and aftermarket HID's in Halogen lights will be classed as a fail. 

14 hours ago, simspj said:

Throw them in the bin and fit LED H4's as new MOT laws come in this year and aftermarket HID's in Halogen lights will be classed as a fail. 

Won't MOT testers be picking up anything that is non halogen?  Can't find anything online about the change in lighting when the new regs come in.

@KenONeill - Hmm... Well it has been raining an awful lot here so I was thinking that there is maybe some water in the connectors or wiring somewhere. That said it started working again about an hour after I originally posted! 

Will have a look at the dip switch when the weather is better. Cheers

4 hours ago, SheffieldVRS said:

Won't MOT testers be picking up anything that is non halogen?  Can't find anything online about the change in lighting when the new regs come in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Edited by Guest