A little confused by VW oil specifications

Hi all,

I'm a little confused by the oil specifications for the MK2 Octavia.

In the handbook it says use  5w 30 VW 502 00 or VW 504 00.

However, the spec on just about every oil I have looked at shows VW 502 00/VW 505 00.

Has VW 505 00 superseded VW 504 00?

I have a bottle of Castrol Magnetec (link below) left over from an Astra I am selling, which has this spec, I presume this is suitable?

Thanks

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69393-castrol-magnatec-stop-start-5w-30-c3-fully-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx

38 minutes ago, mjgreen81 said:

Has VW 505 00 superseded VW 504 00?

No.

502 and 504 are petrol engine oil specs

505 and 507 are diesel engine oil specs

Its usual to see 502/505.01 or 504/507 which is a later longlife spec oil used in variable (extended) service regimes.

If your is petrol then any 502 or 504 spec oil is ok

If its a PD diesel you need 505.01 not 505.00 unless you want your engine to wear the camshaft in record time. 

So that can of Magnatec is ok for a petrol engine but not suitable for a diesel.

Edited by xman

If you intend running on the skoda variable service interval and only if your engine is one that has the oil quality sensor fitted, then you must use 504 and you'll need full vcds to reset to that regime.

Otherwise either 502 or 504 is fine for standard 10k/1yr max servicing. No difference.