Speed Limit button. Why?

BoxerBoy

Serious question.

While browsing my eHandbook for something else, I tripped over the page for the Speed Limit button on the Lights / CC stalk.

This caused me to go look at my car and Hey Presto, I have such a button. 10months in and I’ve never felt the need to set a Speed Limit.

In fact, in almost 50 years, I’ve never felt the need for a Speed Limit button.

What on earth is the purpose?

Does anyone use it? 

Speed limiter sets a maximum speed so you can modulate the throttle at lower speeds without exceeding the speed you set it to.

I would say it may be particularly useful on motorways with 50mph limits or lots of speed cameras so you don't have to watch the speedometer constantly and where traffic may be too inconsistent to use cruise control, as it will still allow you to brake and accelerate as normal,

Edited by SuperbTWM

I hit the cruise over to this all the time - BY ACCIDENT :(

I hit the indicator stalk mid way rather than flicking the tip and there I am, in a mode that's no use where I live.

However:

36 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Speed limiter sets a maximum speed so you can modulate the throttle at lower speeds without exceeding the speed you set it to.

I would say it may be particularly useful on motorways with 50mph limits or lots of speed cameras so you don't have to watch the speedometer constantly and where traffic may be too inconsistent to use cruise control, as it will still allow you to brake and accelerate as normal,

Thank you for the clarity, I didn't comprehend why this would be useful but you've explained it perfectly.

I now long to be queuing pointlessly and accelerating hard between traffic gaps knowing I can't exceed the limit.

1 hour ago, oliverreed2 said:

accelerating hard between traffic gaps knowing I can't exceed the limit

Ah, but what wasn't mentioned was that if you press the accelerator all the way to the carpet, it will override the speed limiter. This is a safety thing.

2 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

That’s the exact and only reason I use mine.

• 1 month later...

It comes standard on the MKIII Fabias I believe. I use it quite a lot though on the Fabia. Main reason being is that I don't have cruse control in the first place so this does the trick. Only things is when you set it and forget you have set it especially when going from a lower to higher speed limit you put your foot down to accelerate only to wonder why you car isn't going any faster and where has all the power gone lol. 

So one would presume it's very similar when applied to any other cars lol

Edited by abaday789