Replacing Start-Stop Battery

jtip_uk

Has anyone had any experience of replacing the battery on the Skoda Citigo with start stop?  Any help would be appreciated please :) Does anyone know if any guides online? It's a '12 plate. 

I've seen some referring to have to 'tune' the battery to the on-board computer but others stating that the computer will re-learn after a few minutes driving. I was tempted just to take this to the dealer and have this done but £200 odd quid seems very steep for the privilege. 

Are you sure that the current battery has truly had it? Modern multi-step "smart" battery chargers like the CTek MXS range can do wonders to revive dead/sulphated batteries.

Thanks both for replying. Octyal - do those instructions cover the start-stop battery? It sounds like replacing a start-stop battery is almost identical to a standard battery. Is the battery monitoring control unit the module with wires going into it that sits on top of the battery?

I'm not sure that the battery has had it - I haven't tested it with a multimeter or anything. I was thinking of doing it as a preventative measure before it started to wear out. 

I had a Golf Mk5 for seven years. Original battery still going strong when I traded it in.

If the stop-start stops working in normal temperatures (not the Arctic conditions we have at the moment) then this might be an indication that the battery is not holding charge and/or a decent voltage level.

That's interesting, the stop-start has not been working consistently in normal temperatures. I has not stopped working completely but often it will not work even after I've been driving for 15 minutes - other times it will. 

23 minutes ago, jtip_uk said:

That's interesting, the stop-start has not been working consistently in normal temperatures. I has not stopped working completely but often it will not work even after I've been driving for 15 minutes - other times it will. 

That's because if it decides the temp is too low or too high it will not activate the s/s function...

Also ALL VAG cars with S/S require the BCM to be coded when you change the battery...even if the exact same spec...you still need to alter the serial number by one digit as otherwise it still thinks it has the old battery & uses the old learned charging patterns...yes it can learn over time....time for it to sod things up again....these BCMs are sensitive to the correct battery type (AGM & EFB only for s/s)..& the BCM having the correct info...

Edited by fabdavrav