Nice weather for a battery swap...

dbg400

The cold weather has taken its toll on the Yeti's battery this winter. Lots of short journeys haven't helped. Neither has using the heated seats & windscreen :) Plus it's the original from May'12. This Saturday it refused to start, and the dash promptly turned into Blackpool Illuminations. Took SWMBO's car instead - that had a battery swap this time last year! 

Ordered a Varta E44 096 from Tayna.co.uk  - 77Ah and 780A cold crank - which turned up this morning. Put on trickle charge and fitted in the sunshine (-2C though) when I got in from work. Just before it started snowing again...

All working fine again, and it turns over much more quickly :)

• Like 1

Hi dbg400,

So when changing the batteries over, was it a simple disconnect one and connect the new, how did all the dash warning lights perform, was all OK ?

M

8 minutes ago, ktm690rr said:

Hi dbg400,

So when changing the batteries over, was it a simple disconnect one and connect the new, how did all the dash warning lights perform, was all OK ?

M

Did you loose any of the radio station memories, & also the long-term fuel consumption?

TIA, DC

Easy apart from dropping the securing bolt & bracket twice - cold hands don't grip well! ESC & steering assist lights come on, but reset after a short drive (100 yds or so when I did them).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Did you loose any of the radio station memories, & also the long-term fuel consumption?

TIA, DC

Radio stations are still there. Trip mileage and mpg (2) were reset, as was the clock.

I'm no expert.

OK, that's got that out of the way.

But years ago I bought one of these (they're no longer available by that name) .....  https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-hand-tools/draper-computer-memory-saver-cms1/1203221460

But you can still, seemingly, get much the same thing under a different name .....    https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/winter-essentials/winter-maintenance/battery-chargers/?550775250&0&cc5_145

Have used it just once, to change the battery on my little Hyundai i10 - but it seemed to keep all the info. and was a doddle to use.

If you are plugging this power source into the 12v cigar jack, could you not plug in your battery charger instead. I have a CTEK intelligent charger with the cigar-jack adaptor to charge battery without going through the battery terminals.

Colin

When I changed the battery on my pre-F/Lift Yeti, the only thing I had to reset was the clock. Everything else retained its settings/memory.

All sorts of warning lights stayed on for the first 100m before ABS etc recalibrated themselves.

No external devices required.