Door side protectors

I use magnetic protectors bought on e bay for about £10, easyily stored in the boot and place them on the side of the car if needed. Look up "Xcellent Global Car Door Protection Removable Magnetic Car Door Guard Strip 2 Meter - Black D.I.Y. Kit M-AT007" on Amazon.Works for me ,nice and easy and cant go wrong at the price.

Car paint doesn't like magnetic attachments, especially modern soft paint.  My father used to be a driving instructor, he had magnetic door panels and roof sign, first car had fine scratches when they were taken off, second he made sure everything was clean when putting them on - scratches, third he put transparent film on the door to protect it (PITA to get it off).

Secondly if you put it on at the height for a car door it is the wrong height for a 4x4.

Park further away from the door to the shop and don't worry, it's only a car.

Thanks I take your points on board. I have found that it doesn't matter how far away from the shops  you park and even in a near empty car park some "numpty"  will come along and park alongside. The magnets on the strips are only about 10 mm wide and only strong enough for a light but effective grip I have had the strips for a couple of months and used them only when in a tight parking space and so far no scratch marks.