Found Windows Open & Hazards On (car now full of water)

Hello. Looked out of the window this morning to see that my 09 1.6cr estate had all its windows wide open and the hazards flashing. Sadly it rained heavily overnight so the car's quite wet inside. Meanwhile, as I started to wonder if this is going to be a nightmare to solve I noticed that the fuel flap was open. Upon investigation the doors were still locked. No fuel had gone. 

So, is this a consequence of an attempted theft? Or is the fuel flap a sign of an opportunist who spotted the open windows which means that there is a nightmare electrical fault? I've done a lot of searching and have only turned up people's windows coming down or hazard lights coming on, not both together. Can anyone shed any light before I make decisions about going to the - oh dear - main dealer. Thanks in advance.  

Hazard lights would come on and could keep flashing intermittently until the alarm was switched off - not 100% sure on this but a possibility. Personally doesn’t sound like an attempted theft, but clearly there are clever gadgets out there that can tap into car key fobs. Is there any possibility that you accidently held down the unlock button on the key fob if it was in your pocket, or children doing this? On my Octavia the windows go right down (all of them) if you hold down the key fob unlock button.  

Thanks for the suggestions. There is the vaguest of chances that I pressed down the unlock key, but it is vague. I just wondered if someone was after the fuel. Seemed odd that the fuel flap was also open - that can't open by itself.  

1 hour ago, pavlf said:

Thanks for the suggestions. There is the vaguest of chances that I pressed down the unlock key, but it is vague. I just wondered if someone was after the fuel. Seemed odd that the fuel flap was also open - that can't open by itself.  

Only a novice would go for the fuel out of the filler cap, pretty sure they have had anti siphon devices built in for decades.

Usually they just stab the fuel tank and do a proper job of ruining your day

Also if you found the doors were still locked then the filler flap should of been locked also which is strange

Edited by SuperbTWM