Winter wheels - Superb II alloys

I have just got a SIII L&K 150 4x4 estate with 19" Phoenix Wheels (235/40 R19). I have a set of Skoda Spectrum alloys (7Jx16, ET 45, 5x Pitch 112, Centre 57mm) from a previous SII .  I was wondering if these alloys can be used with the SIII.

The tyre sizes for the SII and SIII differ significantly so a new set of winter tyres will be needed. But the old tyres (6mm on each) can go to my wife Octavia III for winter use.

If you expect to drive in serious winter conditions, it would be worth checking what tyre/wheel size would allow chains to be fitted. I have an SII 170 Elegance estate and was surprised to find that the handbook states that the standard wheels cannot be fitted with chains. Luckily my winter wheels & tyres are narrower than the standards so chains can be fitted.

The range of approved wheel & tyre combinations was posted on another thread a few months back - worth a search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeHig said:

If you expect to drive in serious winter conditions, it would be worth checking what tyre/wheel size would allow chains to be fitted. I have an SII 170 Elegance estate and was surprised to find that the handbook states that the standard wheels cannot be fitted with chains. Luckily my winter wheels & tyres are narrower than the standards so chains can be fitted.

The range of approved wheel & tyre combinations was posted on another thread a few months back - worth a search.

Don't think you will need to use chains in Surrey (unless you are doing something kinky). Oop north I have never needed chains. Got a set of useless one in the shed bought in the 80's that have never been out of the box. But does anyone use 185 70 14 tyres now?

That was why I started my post "If you expect to drive in serious winter conditions"!

Not usually an issue in Surrey, I agree.

However there have been quite a few posts on several of these forums about winter tyres, etc from folk who drive to the Alps or similar - as I do. A couple of them had bought chains for the standard wheels only to find that they were not approved by Skoda, presumably because of clearance issues (surprising given the origin of these cars).

Is there anything more useless than a set of old chains?! I can track the growth in car wheel & tyre dimensions by the sets of rusting chains in my garage.

2 hours ago, MikeHig said:

Thanks, spent  some time going thru old posts as opposed to the search I had used and found the information needed.  

In short, need to get new alloys and winter tyres.

Thank you

I got my winter tyres and steel wheels from here:

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/16-skoda-superb-steel-winter-wheels-en.html

I went the cheaper steel whel option incase I had to fit chains and I have heard that "open spoke" type alloys have a tendancy to get clogged up in deep snow

Seem to be £200 per set more than I paid 1.5 years ago:blink:, might be better waiting until later in the year or a trawl of ebay

Edited by Q102