Glow plug light

Just been towed home after the glow plug light and management lights came on.my local garage is going to check it over tomorrow.i have been looking at some posts here on the forum and checked the vin no on the Skkoda website which confirmed the emission fix has been done.i was just wondering how long the warranty covers any work and parts.i would be grateful for any info.

gordon

Just spoken to mechanic and it turns out it's an injector problem.Skoda customer services said that because work was carried out at a n independent garage I will have to send invoice etc to them and they will review the case. I was wondering if the vw "fix" can be removed?

Edited by Gordonm
More info

Contact the emissions fix hotline (unless that's who you're already in touch with?), there's a facebook group with the details called The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum - Emissions Scandal.

My car had work done at an independent garage in the past and Skoda still covered the cost of the replacement EGR valve. They didn't get me a hire car as they should have done however, I didn't know that at the time so it was a bit of a hassle. Better than paying for the EGR though!

And yes, you can get the "fix" removed - there's another FB group with info called  EA189 Emission Fix Reversal Assistance Forum. Get Skoda to fix injectors and any other problems first.

Been speaking to the emission test hotline but I'm not holding out much hope.they are saying the injector problem might just be wear and tear or supermarket fuel which I have never used but last owner might have.the Egr valve is ok as are the other 3 injectors so at least that is some good news.I have spoken to my nearest ace tuning garage and they can remove the so called fix for about £250.So I think that might be the best bet.

Thanks again for the help

Gordon

From the Skoda website on the Trust Building Measure: 

"The Trust Building Measure covers a total of 11 components within the exhaust gas recirculation system, the fuel injection system and the emissions after treatment system: lambda probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas recirculation valve, exhaust gas recirculation pressure differential sensor, injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control valve, pressure sensor, high pressure pipelines."

So new injectors will be fitted free under the TBM for EA189 engine cars (inc your 1.6 tdi). You just need to make sure you get a case number and claim under the Trust Building Measure (and don't forget a hire car) You may need to be firm with them and keep mentioning Trust Building Measure.. On the facebook forum quoted above, many people have had new injectors.

Some garages are saying they can remove the fix but in reality they are  putting a new map alongside the "fixed" map, which can lead to problems. I understand that to do a proper "roll back" involves defeating software in the ecu designed to stop people doing exactly that. Just need to ask a lot of questions to weed out the garages that just see an opportunity.

Thanks very much for your help.I have been back on the phone with them and mentioned trust building.just waiting to here back from them.Thanks again

Can anyone tell me if Skoda replace all injectors under the warranty or just the one that is proved faulty?I'm having a nightmare eith Skoda customer service because I got an independent to change injector4.they have told me to use the car until it happens again.Still not sure yet if I am going to get any recompense for the money I have allready paid out.

I have just lost all confidence in the car now and the wife just refuses to drive it in case she breaks down on the road herself.looks like I am going to get rid of it because there is nothing worse tha n a car you have no faith in.

They replace the injectors one by one as they fail, unless there is clear reason to replace all in one go.

If you haven't yet joined the facebook page mentioned by sandspider, I strongly recommend you do so as there are many case histories like yours and you can see how to get a successful outcome, including re-imbursement for work carried out before you contacted Skoda.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a letter from Skoda.As a goodwill gesture they are going to reimburse the£426 garage bill I got after breaking down a few weeks ago I think I'm going to see about getting the so called fix removed and get some confidence back in the car again.