Spray-On Shine

silver1011

I know admitting that I use a local 'hand car wash' will result in some criticism on here but that aside I'm hoping you might be able to answer a question I have.

I've tried pretty much all the hand-car wash outlets here in York and they all more or less use the same process...

1) Spray the car with a light 'mist' type liquid from a hand vacuum pump.

- I'm assuming this is some form of TFR (Traffic Film Remover)?

2) Jet wash the car with water. Watching the effects on the car in-front this TFR stuff seems pretty effective at removing the surface dirt, however I imagine it also removes any protection from the paint too?

3) Either snowfoam from a separate pressure washer and a rub over with a sponge, or the infamous hand mitt in a bucket of old suds mixed with grit.

4) Another fresh water jet wash to remove the suds.

5) Now this is the stage I like the most. They use another hand vacuum pump to spray the car with a liquid very similar in appearance and consistency to the TFR, however it beads the water droplets already on the car.

6) They then jet wash the car for a last time, rinsing this mysterious liquid off, but in doing so it beads the water really well, and in bright sunshine / hot day it eliminates the streak marks where the water dries before it can be dried by hand.

I want some, what should I be searching for on the internet?

The only thing I can find online is Carplans Demon Shine Spray...

s-l1600.jpg.2a13b440c3185c214707f2f24ac75409.jpg

It's quite pricey though, anyone know what I can buy in bulk?

Cheers!

Edited by silver1011

I always thought it was some sort of liquid wax. I wash my VRS but when I take my wife's car to the local hand wash, cost £10 for a mini valet but I pay £1 extra for wax and they spray on something like you described at the end.

• Like 1

I used to regularly use a 'Flash Home Car Wash System' until a few years ago. It's basically a hose attachment, which you can select a 'detergent' spray and a 'dry rinse polymer spray'. The 'drying' water was fed through a cartridge that looked as though it was full of crystals, that changed colour as they lost strength (after about 6 car washes)

It worked very well, the 'drying' spray caused the water to bead and would dry off without any staining. Unfortunately you can't get the cartridge refills any longer.

It maybe a similar drying process that the local hand car wash system uses?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLASH-HOME-CAR-WASH-SYSTEM/dp/B0018LW6BQ

• Like 1

You could always try this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/chemical-guys-after-wash/prod_1499.html

I use it and its very good for avoiding the dreaded watermarks.

Another alternative would be `Aquawax` which is readily available from Halfords.

Best of luck

Regards

Mike.

• Like 1

I use something very similar as far as im aware theyre called rinse aids 

I use autofinesse aqua coat, spray on to a freshly washed car and rinse off

heres a video 

Edited by greenineboss
ADDED link
  • Like 1

You might find this useful;

http://www.autoglymprofessional.com/en/products/autogloss-rinse.html

I use this at the end of my wash process whilst cleaning and putting my stuff away.  I then go over the bodywork with a fairly damp microfibre drying towel before finishing off with a layer of AG Aquawax.

I apply the Autogloss via my snowfoam lance (this was how I was advised to use it on another  forum) , and not a hand pump as they do in the AG video. I will try using the handpump method in my next wash for comparison. 

AG Aquawax has to be wiped off  with a fairly decent  quality microfibre towel after being sprayed on.  It's not a spray on/spray off system  and it is best applied to a fairly dry surface, though it does require a small amount of water to spread it over. 

I buy most of my AG products in bulk (5 litres) from Elite Car Care* under Autoglym Professional. The products tend to have numbers or a different name to the consumer product; Aquawax is called Express Wax for example. 

To buy AG Aquawax on the High Street is approximately £15 per 500ml kit. I get 5 litres for approximately £30-35, 10 times the product for twice the price. 

*other online retailers are available! 

Edited by Guest
Further information added

18 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I know admitting that I use a local 'hand car wash' will result in some criticism on here but that aside I'm hoping you might be able to answer a question I have.

I've tried pretty much all the hand-car wash outlets here in York and they all more or less use the same process...

1) Spray the car with a light 'mist' type liquid from a hand vacuum pump.

- I'm assuming this is some form of TFR (Traffic Film Remover)?

2) Jet wash the car with water. Watching the effects on the car in-front this TFR stuff seems pretty effective at removing the surface dirt, however I imagine it also removes any protection from the paint too?

3) Either snowfoam from a separate pressure washer and a rub over with a sponge, or the infamous hand mitt in a bucket of old suds mixed with grit.

4) Another fresh water jet wash to remove the suds.

5) Now this is the stage I like the most. They use another hand vacuum pump to spray the car with a liquid very similar in appearance and consistency to the TFR, however it beads the water droplets already on the car.

6) They then jet wash the car for a last time, rinsing this mysterious liquid off, but in doing so it beads the water really well, and in bright sunshine / hot day it eliminates the streak marks where the water dries before it can be dried by hand.

I want some, what should I be searching for on the internet?

The only thing I can find online is Carplans Demon Shine Spray...

s-l1600.jpg.2a13b440c3185c214707f2f24ac75409.jpg

It's quite pricey though, anyone know what I can buy in bulk?

Cheers!

I use the demon shine but I tend to water it down, only really use it for say I am at a car show or meet and just need to wipe it down. I finished a bottle this sort of size in about 7 years!

Davy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just adding that  this is the best drying towel i've used, i went back for another. I can dry two transporters and the skoda easily with one towel. Never came across anything like it for sucking up the water.

https://kleenfreaks.co.uk/collections/accesories/products/brand-new-drying-towel

image.thumb.png.e86e7c0daaa745f0ea34ce7945ad0e45.png

On 07/04/2018 at 16:14, Fin69 said:

I apply the Autogloss via my snowfoam lance (this was how I was advised to use it on another  forum) , and not a hand pump as they do in the AG video. I will try using the handpump method in my next wash for comparison. 

Just an update, 

For the last few washes I've applied the AG Autogloss to my vehicle via a handpump*, and it appears to perform better applied that way, rather than via a snowfoam lance. 

*I purchased a 2 litre handpump from Wilko for £3.50, far easier than using a trigger spray. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Fin69 said:

Just an update, 

For the last few washes I've applied the AG Autogloss to my vehicle via a handpump*, and it appears to perform better applied that way, rather than via a snowfoam lance. 

*I purchased a 2 litre handpump from Wilko for £3.50, far easier than using a trigger spray. 

Got any pics of the hand pump.

Davy

Not to apply the Autogloss. In the video they use a trigger spray to apply it, but I broke/fractured all my fingers and thumbs when I was a kid*, so my fingers lock up when using a trigger spray for a prolonged period, hence the pump spray. 

Note Autogloss is from their professional range so you need to go to

autoglymprofessional.com for videos and fact sheets. 

*it was the 70's and involved Evel Knevel, a purple Raleigh Chopper, a very steep hill and a very mistimed jump. 

Happy days!