Oil inspection and service warning

oil inspection and service flagged up today, due in 30 days, car is due 2 year/20,000 mile service in about 2.5k miles, do i have to have the oil service done to keep car in warranty or can i wait and have it done at major service 

So your car has in Long Life Oil from the Factory, and is on Variable / Flexible servicing.

You have to have the Oil / Filter changed pretty soon since you are on Variable / Flexible servicing and that depends on use of the vehicle and oil condition.

Is it a Service Plan or are you paying cash for the Service?

Talk to a Dealership about booking the car in, get it in writing if they say wait to 20,000 miles then there you go.

Personally i would have it done when the oil indicator says if you own the car and are keeping it.

I have a Motability Car and they will not do the Oil change before the 20,000 miles.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

VW say 18,000 miles,  Skoda used to say 18,500 miles, now some say or show 20,000 miles,  All lost in translation,  or miles to km from VW Group.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, judi said:

oil inspection and service flagged up today, due in 30 days, car is due 2 year/20,000 mile service in about 2.5k miles, do i have to have the oil service done to keep car in warranty or can i wait and have it done at major service 

There is a slight misunderstanding here

It is due whichever comes first, the time or the date

You cannot say first service will be 20,000 miles regardless of time, as that can be anything from few months to few years

If you delay, you potentially run into problems claiming under warranty, as warranty is conditional on services and inspection being done on time

it is 20,000 miles or 24 months which ever comes first with SEAT, and the Skoda is showing.

(Fixed service is 9,400 miles / 372 days, which ever comes first.)

Check when the cars PDI was carried out and the Service Indicator reset from the 'In transit', 

then when the car was First Registered,  how many days between the PDI and the car on the road?

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I suggest you book it in for the service if it is at 24 months, once done both indicators should be reset so you wont need another service in 2500 miles

If it is a lease or PCP car (that is going back) the long term effects wont be your problem

If it is a car you are keeping, I would be changing the oil lot more frequently than 18-20k miles  (look at the dipstick, if the oil no longer looks ok (new oil is golden and viscous.  But if your oil is black, looks thick and lumpy or like treacle, then needs changing regardless of what the computer guesses)

• Confused 1

2.0TDI Euro 6 oil does not look golden even after 1,000 miles of an oil and filter change IME.

This is what you might see after 18,000 miles & 18 months and having had 4 litres of oil topping up over that time.

DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG

Edited by Offski

it was 12 months old when i got it in June last year, they changed the oil as they say it flagged up before i took it home, will speak to dealer about it and defo get it in writing and reset, won't be having oil change at Skoda getting it done by my mechanic of 20 years, 20,00 mile/24 month service will be done by Skoda as i have a good will gesture of a free service for all the messing about i have had getting the door locks to work correctly and trying to sort infotainment system out

thanks guys x

Edited by judi
added content

On 17/04/2018 at 21:00, judi said:

won't be having oil change at Skoda getting it done by my mechanic of 20 years, 20,00 mile/24 month service will be done by Skoda as i have a good will gesture of a free service for all the messing about i have had getting the door locks to work correctly and trying to sort infotainment system out

thanks guys x

Confusion over VW service naming convention strikes again !!  VW call each service by so many names, nobody's quite sure what's going on - including Skoda! 

It's difficult to say what's happened to your car.   If the oil was changed in June of last year by a Skoda dealer (on it's 1st birthday?) then I'd have thought they'd have changed your car to 'fixed' service intervals. (i.e. every 12mth or 10,000 miles - which ever comes first.)

However, your car is asking for an oil change before the next 12mths are up.  How many miles have you driven since you bought your car?  If you've driven almost 10,000 miles then that's why your car is warning you. If however you've driven less than say 9000 miles, then it sounds like your car may still be on the 'variable' service program.

Ignore the 'Oil Inspection' part - that's *******s. What your car needs is a 'major' service within the next four weeks.

Personally I'd have a Skoda dealer give it that major service within the next few weeks and have then confirm your car is on a 'fixed' service regime.  Once they've serviced your car, then go to your mechanic after 10k miles or 12mth (which ever comes first) and have him or her look after your car from then on.  

(note: I say him or her...  I'm looking for brownie points for not being sexist  :D )

Change that oil it's black! And oil filter aswell. If you want the car to last for years change oil every year, it's not that expensive...

• Like 1

Not my car, leased, Servicing Paid for in the lease, Ad-Blue added free. 

Allowance is 20,000 miles per year, and the Servicing carried out free but only to Manufacturers Schedule / Guidelines so the filthy horrible oil stays.

Not a car you would want to buy at 3 years old, but then the UK / Europe / World is full of cars / engines like that.

On 4/18/2018 at 23:10, Scot5 said:

Confusion over VW service naming convention strikes again !!  VW call each service by so many names, nobody's quite sure what's going on - including Skoda! 

It's difficult to say what's happened to your car.   If the oil was changed in June of last year by a Skoda dealer (on it's 1st birthday?) then I'd have thought they'd have changed your car to 'fixed' service intervals. (i.e. every 12mth or 10,000 miles - which ever comes first.)

However, your car is asking for an oil change before the next 12mths are up.  How many miles have you driven since you bought your car?  If you've driven almost 10,000 miles then that's why your car is warning you. If however you've driven less than say 9000 miles, then it sounds like your car may still be on the 'variable' service program.

Ignore the 'Oil Inspection' part - that's *******s. What your car needs is a 'major' service within the next four weeks.

Personally I'd have a Skoda dealer give it that major service within the next few weeks and have then confirm your car is on a 'fixed' service regime.  Once they've serviced your car, then go to your mechanic after 10k miles or 12mth (which ever comes first) and have him or her look after your car from then on.  

(note: I say him or her...  I'm looking for brownie points for not being sexist  :D )

i've done about 6,700 miles since i got it, will speak to dealer and make sure they do major service and change it to fixed service regime, thanks for the advice x

• 3 weeks later...

booked in for major service next week, i spoke to Skoda UK and they confirmed it should be a major service and oil changed during that, not separately, i've told dealer that i spoke to Skoda UK