Do i need a radio code ?

Hi there, i need to disconnect my battery/airbag to change the heater control resistor but i dont have a code for my radio...im getting conflicting info as to wether i need one or not ? My car is a fabia mk2 1.2tdi thanks

Edited by BradfordFab

I agree with the above info but be sure you have the correct a/c where the resistor is changeable. If its the fully automatic version, (Climatronic) Digital version, It is incorporated in the fan and cannot be changed. If its the climatic manual version, with four speeds, you'll be ok.

Thankyou everyone ...followed your instructions got the old resistor out to find it had all cracked and broken down...I think the cause of these is cabin filter neglect...mine was heavily blocked and it looks like the resistor requires air flow to keep it cool...No flow means overheating and failure...well thats my opinion ha ha Ordered another should be here Tuesday...will keep you all posted.

Edited by BradfordFab

Great.. When you re-connect the battery and start the car, the radio will say something along the lines of it checking the system, it will say "SAFE" and then, after a short time, function normally. 

• 1 month later...

No, Not really. You might want to make sure doors are locked, unless you are garaged. The drivers one can be done by the key (Be sure to remove it from the car). The stereo will re-set after a few mins, if as mentioned, its standard. The ECU will know its own code. The clock will need re-setting and after fe-fitting, its a good idea to drive a while at differing speeds and revs, to help the ECU adjust to the driving style and offer best parameters. 

27 minutes ago, mrgf said:

No, Not really. You might want to make sure doors are locked, unless you are garaged. The drivers one can be done by the key (Be sure to remove it from the car). The stereo will re-set after a few mins, if as mentioned, its standard. The ECU will know its own code. The clock will need re-setting and after fe-fitting, its a good idea to drive a while at differing speeds and revs, to help the ECU adjust to the driving style and offer best parameters. 

Many thank's mrgf. I'll be doing it later. :)