Options for carrying dogs

As the delivery of our Kodiaq is getting closer, I’m wondering what our options are for carrying our dog in the boot. I like the idea of something like the Travall boot divider, but I don’t like that it requires the guard across the second row seats as it will restrict the flexibility of reclining or adjusting the position of those seats, and make using the 3rd row difficult. 

Has as anyone come across an option of a divider that does not need the guard? We’ve specified our Kodiaq with the retractable mesh load guard that we can use to stop the dog jumping into the second row. 

What other her options are there?

The second row is occupied with children. The boot has to be shared with luggage. Can anyone recommend a dog cage that does not squeak? It’s what we use now, and the squeaking annoys me. 

I have one of these in my Superb MK 3 although it is a double. No rattle or any noise, no fitting required nice and secure for my two dogs not cheap though. Trans K9

005D6070-4259-422A-879C-1EE5B95C790F.jpeg

AE792654-3A10-487A-9AF4-4B721DACFEF4.jpeg

D1DB9551-8AC5-4D4B-8328-E4139EA8D8A7.jpeg

• 2 months later...

There only is one option and that is a cage, safer for you and the dog. Numerous choices around ie K9, Guardsman, MMG and others, all quality products and available as single and double options but at a price but all depends on how much you value your dog and car. 

I don't have a kodiaq, I'm from the Citigo forums but have been snooping about here as I quite fancy a Kodiaq as my next car! (I know, bit of a jump up in size!). I use a dog harness which is designed to clip around a seatbelt so the dog can sit on a passenger chair whilst travelling. If you've got 7 seats and you don't use the third row that often, maybe an option would be to buy a car seat harness for the dog and leave one of the rear seats up to use as the "dog seat"? Just a suggestion, and obviously depends how often you have all 7 seats occupied!

The alternatives are to get a crate but I think these are generally designed to be fitted to 5 seater SUVs, so may completely prevent the use of the 3rd row.

43 minutes ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

If you've got 7 seats and you don't use the third row that often, maybe an option would be to buy a car seat harness for the dog and leave one of the rear seats up to use as the "dog seat"? Just a suggestion, and obviously depends how often you have all 7 seats occupied!

That only works if you don't want to carry any luggage at any point. The remaining boot isn't all that big (although still bigger than in a Citigo!), and you can't use the luggage cover with the 3rd row seats up.

1 hour ago, WiggosSideburns said:

That only works if you don't want to carry any luggage at any point. The remaining boot isn't all that big (although still bigger than in a Citigo!), and you can't use the luggage cover with the 3rd row seats up.

Surely you still have half the boot capacity left when you only have one of the rear seats up? Or do they not fold down individually?

What's the difference between using a dog crate which would take up about half the boot, or just using the car seat already there?

26 minutes ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

Surely you still have half the boot capacity left when you only have one of the rear seats up?

You do, and they do fold down individually. And I guess you still can't use the luggage cover with a dog crate in there anyway...

27 minutes ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

What's the difference between using a dog crate which would take up about half the boot, or just using the car seat already there?

Dog hair all over your seat(s). :tongueout:

2 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

You do, and they do fold down individually. And I guess you still can't use the luggage cover with a dog crate in there anyway...

Dog hair all over your seat(s). :tongueout:

Well, that's why you buy a car seat cover. I've got a £25 one for the back seat of my car and it's good enough, absorbent and traps a lot of dirt!

Putting a dog on one of the rear most seats is only an option if you have a tiny dog. Ours would be half in the footwell and uncomfortable. 

We we ended up getting a Guardsman boot divider and splitting the boot into almost half, giving the dog one side and leaving the other side for luggage. When the dog is not in the car you can use both sides (provided you’re not carrying one big thing obviously) and it removes pretty quickly when you need the 7 seats or a big space. Our luggage cover will likely spend its entire life living under the boot floor - never used it. 

I didn’t like the K9 style dog cages because aside from being extremely unwieldy for getting in and out when you want to carry stuff other than a dog, I had concerns over what they would do to passenger safety for the middle row in the event of a heavy shunt from behind. 

Probably the same amount of damage as several large suitcases , a pram, a set of golf clubs, a child's bike, camping gear..........

Though probably a lot less than any small item lying loose  that will just bounce around the interior at maxi chat until it embeds itself in something or someone. 

Edited by Guest

I strongly disagree. Luggage and camping gear is easily deformable if the rear crumple zones need to absorb the energy of an impact. The K9 cage is explicitly designed not to deform - so if the boot gets shorter the cage has only

one place to go. I like my dog, but I like my kids sitting in the middle row more. 

I got a dog guard from Barjo and they have dividers as well but if you don't have the guard you will need to make up a mount for the front edge of the divider as they all use the guard for the front support of the divider