Am I being conned

Got another quote for remap from Quantum in Glasgow £249 takes it to 165bhp being done Monday does anyone know whether the idle speed can be adjusted with a remap apparently, it can't be done manually. Mine idles at around 800rpm which causes a lot of shaking would be much nicer experience at 1000. Am also getting a brake check.

I don't want to go on a rant re garages but I have had poor experiences from many, a respected BMW dealership told me I had to replace an entire set of pistons because one was damaged (2002 Tourer), luckily I knew a guy in the industry who ordered me one from Germany for £70. I've had garages lose wheel dust covers, failed to properly close the oil filler cap so that I ended up with oil all over the engine on the Fabia, another failed to properly replace the undertray on a peugot which fell off on the A80 and a Peugot dealer told me the braking system had failed after I had driven the vehicle to their dealership with brakes working perfectly cost me £1800 (in retrospect I should have arranged for a pick up to transfer the vehicle to another garage but couldn't in the circumstances). I have a very low opinion of the motor industry generally which is probably wrong because I am sure their are good, honest and competent tecks out there.

My last purchase was an interesting one, I spotted a good car at what seemed a very low price (Octavia Estate), spoke to the dealer and got a further £500 off the price. Normally I would carry out a check on the vehicle but this dealer advertised it as having had an all clear after an Experian check. When I got home from Newbury to Glasgow I had a bad feeling about the whole process and the dealer's premises, this was the best car in their lot and it turned out to be a very run down premises. Did my own check on the car and found there was outstanding finance on it, my heart sank. Thankfully it was owed by a reputable national lease hire company who cleared the outstanding finance, the result was I got the car for £2,500 less than bottom book value. I later found out the dealer bought the car at auction in Leeds probably did his own check, realised their was finance outstanding and panicked, hence the low price, anyhow, he did himself by his dishonest dealings, there is justice after all. Moral of the story ALWAYS pay for a check on your prospective purchase.

I thought that you would have got the issue with the brakes sorted out properly before making it go faster - no?

On 06/06/2018 at 09:54, rum4mo said:

I thought that you would have got the issue with the brakes sorted out properly before making it go faster - no?

They are being inspected before the remap by the same garage.