Which Service on Low Mileage Car?

Hi all, my wife has a 2015 Fabia III (1.0 75) It’s coming up for 3 years old and as such, as far as Skoda is concerned, is due a major service, but the car has only done 3,500 miles.

Im not sure a “major” is really required. What do people think?

Depends what was done at the last 2 services.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

So maybe a pollen / cabin filter needed. Or was it replaced last year?

the Oil & Filter, the Brake Fluid Changed. The Inspection service, maybe brake servicing /maintenance.

The Air Filter needs looked at, do not pay a Major Service cost if no spark plugs or air filter is being supplied and fitted.

See a good Independent or discuss with a main dealership getting done what is required, minus the costly free wash and vacuum.

No need to pay the crazy Major Service cost.

You want any warranty work done before it is 3 years old, 

maybe get it into someone not a Main Dealer for a MOT 4 weeks before 3 years old and get a 13 month MOT, and know all is OK as far as the MOT.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

Edited by Offski

Things such as oils , filters, fluids etc Aircon too may all need replacing / servicing at 3 years. You may save yourself the price of the plugs if you negotiate with the Dealer.

It depends if you want to stay main dealer. If not you could take it to any number of independents and have done exactly what you want.

When I bought my 16 reg recently I paid for two services with Skoda, one small and one major, for just £149 total.

I think in your position I would be having a full service done but trying to negotiate off the price of new plugs which should be  nowhere near their use by date. 

Harry

Edited by horkin

For low mileage’s, still need to change the parts that degrade over time like pollen filters, brake fluid, but shouldn’t need to change parts that are worn by mileage 

As already said, get any warranty work done, and the MOT done before warranty expiry.  Also worth asking for an recall or other campaign upgrades to be done

I'd doubt if it is spark plug time yet either on time or months, so that should not be an issue.

For me, the real issue is, it sounds like that car is currently on some sort of variable/longlife servicing strategy - and if so, for the way that you are currently using that car, that is not useful, it should be changed to fixed time/miles servicing.

Now you could think that as you are running such a low mileage each year that servicing could be cut further back or done away with, not simply is not true.

Maybe time to get a used electric car if that is the mileage that you think that you will be running each year going forwards.

9 hours ago, rum4mo said:

For me, the real issue is, it sounds like that car is currently on some sort of variable/longlife servicing strategy

We’re on annual servicing. Irksome yes, on such a low mileage car, but I definitely understand the importance of regular servicing (my other car is a 1.2TSi Yeti!).

Going down the electric route is a fantastic idea, and it would definitely work for us. That is except for the fact we have on-street parking, and as such no option for a home charging point. In fact, I’m hoping some options are introduced to counter this issue as electrification gathers pace, because I’d be happy to replace my Yeti with a plug-in.

Anyway panic over, the Skoda dealership are doing the service for £101. Seems I may have jumped the gun on the need for a major service :)

Thanks all!

3 hours ago, BobbyG79 said:

Going down the electric route is a fantastic idea, and it would definitely work for us. That is except for the fact we have on-street parking, and as such no option for a home charging point. In fact, I’m hoping some options are introduced to counter this issue as electrification gathers pace, because I’d be happy to replace my Yeti with a plug-in.

Dont want this to sound wrong, but have you checked what your local councils electric car charging policy is.  It seems that there are grants to Councils to install street chargers, but some have not requested any funds, as they are waiting for people to suggest sites, or not aware of the funds.

sorry off topic

I think that it needs to jump straight into "fast charging stations" like filling stations as the current model for charging seems not to work much in USA where interstate highway motels have the majority of charging points, but they are located near to the motel entrances and lazy people with conventional fuelled cars hog these spots 100% of the time, motel management can't officially move them as all these charging parking spaces have been handed over to the charging companies!

Also, only in England and Wales so far, is there not a case where you live in a street where parking is heavily controlled, you request a charging point outside your house and then parking restrictions are lifted for that space, you then, if you are first there now have a free all day any day parking space - even although you don't own an electric car!  As they say, where there is a will there is a way??

• Like 1

I was wrong as far as which area of UK that "getting a free parking space" was successfully tried out, well at least on one reported occasion it was done in Scotland!!

There's definitely some way to go before I'd happily plump for an electric powered vehicle, but it's definitely a long-term aim.  Just hoping my Yeti can last the distance.  8.5 years in and it's still going strong :)

The local council is currently "developing an electric vehicle charging strategy" so I'll keep an eye on that.

1. our council in Shaw in Oldham has a charging point in one car park , there is even 2 at work where i work 

not interested in electric cars as we don't have enough power stations as it is for our growing country  i mean we have power cuts as it is now certain times of the year , no major plans to increase power stations in fact they have said we are behind  in this field already

ive already read some inventors from way back invented cars that run on a water and b waste, manufacturers won't do anything due to costs and greed

1 hour ago, dnlbwls said:
  1. our council in Shaw in Oldham has a charging point in one car park , there is even 2 at work where i work 

not interested in electric cars as we don't have enough power stations as it is for our growing country  i mean we have power cuts as it is now certain times of the year , no major plans to increase power stations in fact they have said we are behind  in this field already

ive already read some inventors from way back invented cars that run on a water and b waste, manufacturers won't do anything due to costs and greed

Agreed, I think to make the Electric idea work, everyone would have to have their own means of charging at home. Unfortunately many live on streets, in Flats or, as I do in a complex with communal parking. Being able to access a charging point on demand is always going to be impossible or at least unlikely, while accessing the parking spot right outside your front door of a terrace/ street house, likewise.

Harry