Coding out throttle lag VCDS

Am aware there is some noticable throttle lag on the Kodiaq and am due to get mine delivered soon. There is a racechip throttle adjuster that you can install to remove this issue. Though my question is if it is possible to avoid this and just code it in via VCDS instead saving having an extra box in the car. 

Just installed racechip XLR and it will eliminate 98% of throttle lag. 2% is a turbo lag....I'm really satisfied. There are different modes to choose. I'm using SPORT+ mode. 

I think there is also an Audi throttle setting that can set be set by VCDS that improves throttle response, but not as much as chips etc.

Whilst waiting on my Kodiaq I came across lots of posts regarding having to fit Racechip or similar to overcome horrendous throttle lag.

I decided to wait and experience this for myself before purchasing such a device and I’m glad I waited, as I have no problems with the throttle on my 2.0 Tsi. 

• Like 1

I agree with what Wiggos is saying, this is my first DSG and I must admit the first time I tried to join a busy roundabout was a bit daunting, by the time the auto hold released the brakes, the gearbox selected a gear and it all worked out that I wanted to go took a bit of time let’s say. But then again you wouldn’t attempt the same, sitting in neutral with the handbrake on in a manual car. I soon worked out to look for a space in traffic, slight press of accelerator releases the auto hold and car starts to creep, and by feathering the brake pedal can control creep and actually hold without the auto hold reapplying, so when gap appears a quick press on accelerator and we’re off, no delay, no “ throttle lag”. 

These boxes with their hair trigger response must make delicate throttle inputs in town traffic and manoeuvring very difficult and jerky surely.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

by the time the auto hold released the brakes

I still can't make my mind up on auto hold... it's great for when you're sat at traffic lights, but it's a pain for things like roundabouts (as you said) and impossible when you're trying to manoeuvre / park. But having said that, there is so much you can control through the throttle / brake and how you use them - for example, if you ever so lightly touch the throttle with auto hold + start/stop activated, it will restart the engine without releasing the hold. If you slow down gently and you're not stomping on the brake pedal, then you can stop without activating the start/stop, then press further on the pedal whilst stopped to activate it if you want. The only thing I've not yet managed (and I don't think it's possible) is to stop without activating the auto hold when it's turned on. As long as you don't stop completely, you're ok, but the instant you stop it seems to trigger it no matter how light you're being on the brakes.

• Like 1

I echo everything Wiggo and Kenny R have said. If you know it's going to happen you can allow for it. If you don't want the grief of trying to work it all out, flick it into sport on the approach to roundabout, junction, whatever. It's certainly not worth getting bent out of shape over.

It’s like most things in life, in that it takes awhile to get used it.  Personally I prefer the way DSG  is setup in the Kodiaq, as it’s a good compromise between performance and slow commute driving.

Having driven a neighbors Q5 with the same 2.0 engine it’s noticeable that the throttle response is a little more snappy on the Q5. This makes for a faster getaway but a slightly more jerky ride in start stop traffic.

If you have the VCDS knowledge or know someone who has you can have the same setup if you want.

Its a matter of choice 8-)

The only thing that would be nice is if the air con kept work when stop start kicks in.

Edited by Jfhuk

I was on the understanding the throttle lag affected the 2.0 TDI engines more than any of the others. This might explain why some notice it more than others.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I was on the understanding the throttle lag affected the 2.0 TDI engines more than any of the others. This might explain why some notice it more than others.

I don’t notice any throttle lag on my 190 TDI.  There’s not much response below 1700 rpm but that’s nothing to do with the throttle and everything to do with the turbo not spinning simply because the engine’s not pumping enough air. I don’t see how the throttle map could fix that - it’s fixed by being in a lower gear, which the DSG does a fine job of when in sport mode. 

The throttle map has a much softer response when in Economy mode, but that’s not a massive surprise, and if you don’t like it, Normal and Sport offer alternatives. Personally I wouldn’t want a sharper throttle response in a big passenger car - I’ve driven Audis with razor sharp throttles that would be amazing in a sports car on a race track, but just a pain when trying to drive smoothly on the road. 

Like others, I also quite like how you can finesse the throttle to control re-firing of the engine after a stop, and releasing the auto brake. With a bit of control just your right foot is all that’s needed to make a smooth getaway. 

The only time I’ve been caught out by response so far was rolling up to a roundabout in economy mode and the car was in 2nd gear and clearly preparing to make an early shift up to 3rd - so when I asked it to accelerate quite hard, the turbo wasn’t spinning and the DSG was caught out so took longer to select 1st instead of 3rd. 

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I was on the understanding the throttle lag affected the 2.0 TDI engines more than any of the others.

Same here. And more specifically, the 190 TDi lags at the lower end of the rev range (the 150 TDi less so). 

I can totally understand why the lag is there and with a bit of time driving the vehicle I will probably be better used to it but I'd also like to have the option there if needed to remove it if  I wanted. Just incase I did feel like I was struggling at busy junctions etc. 

Put it from D into S -> problem solved.

EDIT:

have a 190PS myself and i just can't drive in D in most situations, i can feel the engine struggling and feeling the strain on the DMF. Driving in S tranny mode (not MODE mode!) all the time, the pedal response is sharper, the revs never drop low enough for the engine to struggle and if it keeps a gear for too long a flip the higher gear on the pedals and leave it to change back to S.

Edited by McGyles
addition-EDIT

Some of the previous posters mentioned that Sport mode results in sacrifices elsewhere, such as the ability to drive, stop and manouvre as smoothly.

And that is where the pedal response box fixes the situation. The pedal response becomes linear and you do not require sport mode to rev the engine. Result is smoother, more responsive reactions from the vehicle. Noting the MrTrilby comments above regarding less response below 1700rpm. My TDI 190 has no lack of response from idle, it did before the response box was fitted. It is not turbo related. It is the non-linear software controlled pedal response that impacts the drivability.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the RaceChip XLR box and fitted it this afternoon, it was pretty easy to fit, although the angle is a little tricky but not the worst. I've given it a short drive around the block in the various different modes, sport + seems the best for me. The two race modes are a bit too jerky for me, they make the car go mental so that's not for me and not what i'm looking for in response. From first impression there is 100% a difference in throttle response and if it defo seems like its worth it.

Edited by Shevtheblue

4 minutes ago, Shevtheblue said:

From first impression there is 100% a difference in throttle response and if it defo seems like its worth it

What engine / gearbox / drivetrain do you have?