Service cost

jst_at_home

10 minutes ago, Offski said:

Another lost in translation is 'manufacturers recommendations'    Not as per Schedule,  ie must do this, must do that, must have A/C serviced,

must change spark plugs at 4 years / 40,000 miles or depend on if the technician can be bothered to look at plugs or airfilter,

or is it a Fleet Vehicle, then life time fitted items, life of the lease..

The Manufacturers warranty is a cracker on servicing where they say to 'Manufacturers guidelines'.   

But getting Manufacturers Guidance is a joke,  as are the 'recommendations',  try asking about a Haldex Service and oddly Skoda UK are clueless, 

like with DSG servicing sometimes, they do not know there wet from dry clutch or Ar53 from elbow.

On a previous Yeti, the same dealer rang my wife to tell her that the oil in the DSG gearbox on her 1.2 petrol Yeti  needed changing.  When she told me I said I'm sure it's a "dry" gearbox and sealed.  It was only after she queried that they rang back to say that it dd not in fact need the oil to be changed!

It makes you wonder!

John

Problem there is if it did need changing from synthetic to mineral and a software update if it was from 2009-2012/13 and the Service Campaign was required '34F7', 

but then many never had that done because of clueless dealership employees making phone calls, all the gear, ie a phone and no idea.

Yes, as you say above. It is a rip off.

Hence my later in life view...........only buy used vehicles at heavily discounted prices and use independent trusted local servicing.

Edited by kevberlin

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Feedback doesn't have to be negative or confrontational. Just write them an email, state the facts.

If the new car is at Emden there is little you or the dealer can do now to sour the deal.

I would wait until the vehicle is in your possession before giving 'negative' feedback if my experience of a Skoda dealerships PDI is anything to go by.

Got home after picking my vehicle up only to discover a piece of broken trim from the boot locking mechanism 'hiding' in amongst the bags containing the boot nets.  Took it to my local dealership who categorically stated I must have done it as there was no way it would ever have left the factory like that.

Just like the vehicle would never have left the factory, nor gone through a PDI, five services, three warranty claim all with the obligatory 'vehicle health checks', oh and an MoT, before the noise like 'shrapnel rattling in a bucket' when you depressed the clutch, which I had complained about during the first week of ownership was eventually diagnosed by the Master Tech as a failed DMF,

If that was considered an acceptable standard of PDI, I would hate to see the state of a vehicle if they held a grudge! 

8 hours ago, Fin69 said:

I would wait until the vehicle is in your possession before giving 'negative' feedback if my experience of a Skoda dealerships PDI is anything to go by.

That would be my worry.  I've found as I've gone through life that any feedback that isn't positive is viewed as negative.  No half way.

As things stand my new car is still in Emden with the clock ticking on my holiday.  The dealer has said they may loan me a car for my holiday to save mileage on my Yeti (about 2,500) so they are trying.

John

• Like 1

That should help them run up the miles required on a Demonstrator. They can make a good profit on selling that and not lose out on your trade in with a higher mileage.

Good if they are helpful and then they can earn some good publicity on Social Media because as it is the cost of servicing had them looking like money grabbing barstewards.

9 minutes ago, Offski said:

That should help them run up the miles required on a Demonstrator. They can make a good profit on selling that and not lose out on your trade in with a higher mileage.

Good if they are helpful and then they can earn some good publicity on Social Media because as it is the cost of servicing had them looking like money grabbing barstewards.

I'm hoping for an Octavia VRS Estate!

• Haha 1

In my experience, the guy prepping your new car will be so far disconnected from the customer facing teams that he/she won't have a clue if you've offered feedback on servicing costs or not.

Gone are the days of small family run Skoda dealers where the guy answering the phone is the same guy draining the oil.

Today's Skoda franchisee's are emotionless machines. They'll get from you as much as they can and move on to the next unsuspecting customer, blinded by the excitement of buying a new car.

We're a nation of non-complainers, chalking up bad service as life experience. I prefer to buck that trend, not by complaining for the sake of complaining, but by digging in when levels of service fall below expected levels.

The only way they'll improve is if they know you're not 100% happy.