Opti-Coat Pro +

Hi All

Has anyone had any dealings with paint protection in particular Opti-Coat Pro +, having had my car now for 6 months (VRS 245) i have noticed a few scratches and how easy they seem to happen on the paint. i've also read a few posts stating how thin the paint is on Skodas in general and this might be a good investment to add that extra layer of a hard coat on top. The thing that concerns me though is there are lots of articles about water spots and etching on the coating if you don't dry the car properly after washing and how hard they are to remove after, if you look into the Opti-Coat care instructions its recommended to wash the car no less that 2 weekly intervals, now i do wash my car regularly but i don't want to add this coating only to have to treat it like a baby, I get its no magic formula to make my care maintenance free but i dont want to be wiping off bird poo and every spot of water within 2 seconds because im worried it'll affect the coating or warranty.

There is a company that is offering me a stage one paint correction and Pro + coating (2 coats) with 7 year warranty for $1k ( 550 Quid approx) so not cheap, i expected this to be done over a couple of days to De-contaminate and clean, paint correction and application but was told it would be done within 1 day and they usually have done by lunch but pick up at 5, i though this stuff needed time to cure? or is it really done that quick?

I'm a little confused at the mo so any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Right.... 

If a company is offering proper correction and coating in 1 day then I would walk away tbh. 

Most of the guys I know would have the car for at least 3 days obviously depending on the condition of the paint. Any decent coating itself needs to be cured in controlled conditions for 24hrs.

Thanks Pittsy

What i know about paint correction you could write on a postage stamp but even i was surprised buy how quick they said they could do it and this is a reputable business that was full of top end cars hence the post for some advice.

No worries mate... 

Just to give you a idea the decontamination alone would take 3-4 hrs and (please bear in mind I am not a pro) it took me 3hrs to 90% correct my bonnet so imagine that over the whole car when you are taking depth readings etc. 

Ironically the coating part doesn't take that long at all and alot of guys use ir lamps to accelerate the process but still you need to keep it inside for 24hrs.

Done properly you will have no problems with water spotting. 

Well said Pittsy

From what I've been able to google Opti-Coat Pro  + is  ceramic coating, so it's a fairly common product these days. It needs to be cured or you will get the water spot issues.

Definitely walk away if they think they can do it within a day. Have a look at at detailers offering similar products such as Gtechnic or Gyeon.

Unfortunately there aren't that many detailer's by me and most offer the Opti-Coat, i did have a chat with another one today and they said 2 days, 1 to clean and decontaminate and they will do a full paint correction and the second day to apply and bake on, slightly more expensive but sounded like he would do a proper job. i will do a bit more searching and see if anyone is offering the Gtechnic or Gyeon and what there prices are first. Never really thought about the wrap Damo but i'll check that out as well.

Thanks again for the comments and advice.