Skoda Scout Front diff

1) As I understand it there is a transfer box on the skoda scout. This transfer box holds about 1 lt of oil, This transfer box is filled when the gearbox is filled I think. Can any one confirm that my understanding is correct

2) I also believe that there are front diffs on the skoda scout. Is this the same as the transfer box or a different unit. I think it is a different unit but that it uses the same fluid as the rear diff circa 750 ml

Can anyone confirm my suspicions

Regards

TSM

1 hour ago, twostrokemick said:

1) As I understand it there is a transfer box on the skoda scout. This transfer box holds about 1 lt of oil, This transfer box is filled when the gearbox is filled I think. Can any one confirm that my understanding is correct

The transfer box is NOT filled via the gearbox - the interweb does lead one to that conclusion but I can tell you 100% it is filled separately via a fill point above the O/S driveshaft. An expensive mistake learnt. 

2) I also believe that there are front diffs on the skoda scout. Is this the same as the transfer box or a different unit. I think it is a different unit but that it uses the same fluid as the rear diff circa 750 ml

The front diff is in the gearbox the same as the FWD and the transfer box is where you would find the O/S inner CV joint so the Scout uses a shorter driveshaft. The transfer box sends drive to the propshaft which is permanently engaged  ie turns when the front driveshaft turn and the haldex engages with the rear when appropriate.

Remember that there is a rear diff and Haldex unit at the rear that are easily confused, can't advise on oils, just order from Skoda when I need them.

Scott

Can anyone confirm my suspicions

Regards

TSM

SMC thank you for your clarifications.

If the gearbox oil was changed does that mean that the oil for the front diff has also been changed i.e. is it one complete unit the gearbox and the front diff?

Regards

TSM