Home theatre -7.1 vs atmos 5.1.2

Gromle

Anyone of you fine folks with home theatre experiences?

Im moving to a bigger flat in the autumn, and I will then have a 5x3m room in the basement to build a mancave. 

And Im torn apart regarding 7.1 or Atmos. I will probably buy a Denon AVR x3400 wich can do 7.1 or 5.1.2. 

I have speakers for a 5.1 setup. 

Any input?

Edited by Gromle

Even though a current 5.1 setup will sound good, there's no better time than commissioning a new cave to make the most of being able to get cables to the correct areas. That will allow a certain amount of future proofing even if you don't add the extra speakers straight away.

Cables will be installed. Im just trying to decide where to put them. And I still have to check if ceilingmounted speakers is possible. 

But a new amp is priority number 1, since my current amp doesnt support 4K.

16 minutes ago, Gromle said:

But a new amp is priority number 1, since my current amp doesnt support 4K.

Maybe time to check if your new flat has internet at a speed high enough to support that and don’t forget to get decent quality cable for the installation.

I’d be interested to know what swung you towards the Denon instead of a Yamaha or Onkyo too?

On 02/07/2018 at 13:13, john999boy said:

Maybe time to check if your new flat has internet at a speed high enough to support that and don’t forget to get decent quality cable for the installation.

I’d be interested to know what swung you towards the Denon instead of a Yamaha or Onkyo too?

I can get up to 500mbit internet connection(cable), so speed is not an issue.

I like how Denon sounds, have one at the moment in my 5.1 setup. Denon and Dali is a good combo in my ears.

And I prefer the Audessey room correction over the one Yamaha uses.

And its not really relevant, but I hate how Yamaha and others lists the power output. 6ohm, 1khz and one channel with heavy distortion. Thats just plain misleading.

• Thanks 1

What are your current speakers? 

Are there are audiovisual shops in Norway that allow you to listen to setups? I'd recommend spending some time listening to a Atmos set up to see you can tell the difference, some claim to not tell. Also I think the ceiling height makes a difference to the overall sound in an Atmos set up.

Are you doing anything to the walls in terms of dampening? 

My current speakers are Dali Concept 6 as fronts, Dali Zensor vokal as center and Zensor 1 as surrounds.

I wont do extra soundproofing in the walls, right away at least. But will put up something to keep the sound from reflecting of the walls.