DSG Newbie Questions

f1arp72

Hi.  I will be picking up my new Karoq in next few days and this will be the first time I’ve driven an automatic so apologies for the dumb questions, but would like to clarify a few things.

Forgetting the “Auto Hold” function for a moment ….

1. My understanding is an auto will start to move forward when your foot is taken off the break. Correct ?

2. If so, will it turn off the parking brake automatically if “Drive” is selected and footbrake is released?

3. If you’re on a hill, will the car start rolling back until the accelerator is depressed, or will the “forward movement” when releasing the brake stop you rolling back ?

Now with regards to “Auto Hold”, when switched on …

1. This is meant to prevent 3 above correct ??  (allowing you to release brake, not roll back, and then press accelerator, if indeed it would roll back without it) ?

2. If so, why is there an option to turn it off ?  Surely a system that prevents a car rolling back and keeps it stationary until the accelerator is pressed should be on all the time.  Why would you want to disable it ?

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, f1arp72 said:

Hi.  I will be picking up my new Karoq in next few days and this will be the first time I’ve driven an automatic so apologies for the dumb questions, but would like to clarify a few things.

Forgetting the “Auto Hold” function for a moment ….

1. My understanding is an auto will start to move forward when your foot is taken off the break. Correct ? Yes

2. If so, will it turn off the parking brake automatically if “Drive” is selected and footbrake is released? Yes.

3. If you’re on a hill, will the car start rolling back until the accelerator is depressed, or will the “forward movement” when releasing the brake stop you rolling back ? It will not roll back.

Now with regards to “Auto Hold”, when switched on …

1. This is meant to prevent 3 above correct ??  (allowing you to release brake, not roll back, and then press accelerator, if indeed it would roll back without it) ? That is correct.

2. If so, why is there an option to turn it off ?  Surely a system that prevents a car rolling back and keeps it stationary until the accelerator is pressed should be on all the time.  Why would you want to disable it ? The first three answers apply only to the car being on a modest incline. The Auto Hold also works in reverse gear.

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

I'm thick. I see the advantages then with AH on steeper inclines and with either direction of travel.

Still not clear to me though why you'd want to turn it off?

Turn mine off so I can roll slightly down hill into garage and also very slow manoeuvres when you are inching in a tight space are annoying with autohold as it keeps kicking in and stopping the car then you have to overcome it to inch forward

I’m a DSG first timer, but I’ve found when manoeuvring into or out of a space on a hill/ slope I’ve had to turn autohold off and use the handbrake, as with the autohold on and your reversing uphill, press accelerator brakes release car rolls forward, just can’t get car to creep slowly if space is tight and had to resort to using handbrake.

Ah, yes, I guess parking would definitely be an instance when Auto Hold would be better switched off as you'd want to control speed via brake as opposed to using accelerator when squeezing into tight spots.   Am I right in thinking the car will move forward even on a flat surface when in "Drive" and foot is released from brake ?

8 minutes ago, f1arp72 said:

....Am I right in thinking the car will move forward even on a flat surface when in "Drive" and foot is released from brake ?

Yes.

Cheers all. For me AH isn't worth it.